Author Topic: Made Stick Go Boom!!  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Made Stick Go Boom!!
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:16:19 am »
I had this maple board bow all tillered out to give to my sister.  It was only about 35 lbs draw weight, and I thought maybe I'd try heat treating it and inducing a little reflex.  I have never heat treated before but have been wanting to try it for a while now, so I made a caul  with a gradual 3 inch reflex over the length of the limb, and a jig to hold my heat gun.  Everything seemed to go pretty good. 

I let it sit for a few days in the bathroom to rehydrate a bit, and then threw it back on the tiller tree.  It picked up some serious weight, so I began tillering again.  As I scraped some of the dark layer off, I noticed that there was a spot toward one tip that had gotten a little "crispy" compared to the rest.  This also happened to be the spot where a small pin knot swirled the grain a bit almost across the width of the limb.  I kinda figured this was going to be bad news, and considered backing it, but I figured if it's going to crack, it's going to crack.  Well it turned out I was right.  I had her pulled to about 25 lbs and the tip cracked and went flying.  Just thought I'd post some pics so you guys could have a chuckle at my expense, and to prove I still dabble with bow making ;)  Now that spring seems to have come early, I'm hoping to get the wood shavings flying again!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Made Stick Go Boom!!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:26:51 am »
Cam that's ducky. Just ducky!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline druid

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:27:01 am »
Too baked.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 03:29:16 am »
Too baked.

Druid did you make a funny???

Too. Baked as in too bad ?? That's funny..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 04:04:56 am »
LOL, I think he meant to toasted.... But thats still a funny way to say it now that I am thinking of baked...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 04:15:36 am »
Toasted...baked...same difference, lol.  Seriously though, I don't toast them quite so dark; always worry about charring.  I'll go over mine a couple times to get an even dark brown, but I avoid black.  Good luck on the next one.

Julian
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline randman

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 04:31:22 am »
Yeah talk about a bakin' that'll wake ya ;D ;D
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 07:05:38 am »
Looks over done to me. :) Sorry about that it was looking good, I don't cook um that long. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 10:28:34 am »
Looks like a grain run out from what I see. When boards break that's usually why. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:02 am »
After doing the post-mortem examination, I would definitely agree that I baked the hell out of it :)  Out toward the tips, the wood was browned all the way through. 

George, the grain was not perfect by any means, which is why I had reserved this board for a lighter bow.  I think if I had stuck to my original plan with a rawhide backing and no heat treating, it would have been fine. It had around 100 arrows through it before I proceeded to ruin it ;)

Oh well.  I wasn't real happy with how this one was turning out anyway.  There's always the next one!

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 11:22:17 am »
  I am not real big on heat treating maple but I do use dry heat to reflex it. I have also changed the way I heat treat in recent years. I go back and forth over the entire limb not browning it in an spots, it will eventually just take on a slightly darker color. Maple is a real nice wood if you just get reasonably dry.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 12:58:09 pm »
To baked,,, Maple can be touchy to to much heat treating

Offline Survivecrunch

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 03:39:37 pm »
IMHO it is way overbaked.  If you read in TTB it says that you DO NOT want the wood to turn black, that destroys the fibers and those underneath.  You want to get it about a dark brown, and don't hold your heat too close to the limb, you want to evenly cook the top fibers and those underneath to affectively strengthen multiple layers in unison.  Other wise you will have a "shell" if you will of strong toasted fibers lying on top of uncooked ones.  We live and learn though, everything is a lesson to make us better right?

Offline MoNative

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 06:09:56 pm »
I like 8)
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.