Author Topic: Spring bear hunt - western Oregon  (Read 7170 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Spring bear hunt - western Oregon
« on: March 12, 2012, 05:01:27 pm »
I put in for the Wilson-Trask unit spring bear (for myself and my wife), and we drew it (not many applicants / tag for this unit).  I hope to get out for a 4 day hunt by myself with the Primitive gear, and then do a little weekend rifle hunting with the wife, to get another hide and some meat.  I have never hunted bear, except carrying a bear tag during elk hunting. I will also have a cougar tag if I get the opportunity.  I really want to find a big old boar. 

Any tips on hunting the spring bear? Where to find the mean old cub killing, calf and fawn eating, one-eyed boar?  Anybody know that unit real well? I hunted it last year for elk, and that was the first time hunting that area, or even the coast range for that matter.  Anybody have success calf calling for bears or cats? 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Spring bear hunt - western Oregon
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 05:32:27 pm »
I was cooking up my first batch of sturgeon skin glue last night.  the stuff smells strong of fish...which got me thinking.  If you carried a bow that reeked of fish, would that be considered baiting?  ;D 

*Baiting bears is prohibited in Oregon, though attractants applied to your persons is allowed. 
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline barefootbowhunter

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 12:43:46 am »
smoked salmon is an awesome hunting snack..... bears should be focusing on the clear cuts and riparian areas this time of year eatin all the fresh growth, ive heard they like skunk cabbage but havnt witnessed it myself. glass clear cuts, post up in the alders, and dont forget that smoked salmon! fawn in distress calls arent a bad idea either, good luck

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 01:38:03 am »
No hints, but I'm green with envy!!! I hunted bears near Mt Shasta and closer to McCloud, CA in 91. I'm hoping you get to let an arrow or two fly.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 05:40:34 pm »
That's a good idea barefoot.  I love smoked salmon and steelhead.  I just need to actually catch some this year!

That is what I have gathered so far, too. Focus on clearings and open south facing slopes with fresh growth.  I also heard skunk cabbage is a favorite, so maybe there is something to it.  As for finding that mature bear, I think I will just have to get into some places a ways off the roads.  Will be tough work getting a big bear out of the more remote spots though. 

Cipriano, thanks. I really hope I get to loose an arrow or two, also.  Did you have any luck? I have been rereading Chet Stevenson's bear stories, and that has really got me excited.  Bears are amazing animals. The story of a 500lb bear he shot... and after recovering it, found the wound packed full of moss!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:46:21 pm by CMB »

youngbowyer

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:07:19 pm »
lucky you! Out here we cant hunt bears with a bow.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:46:09 pm »
really, they wont let you hunt bear with a bow?, that sure is weird
when i got my license the shop owner gave me the tags. when he gave me  the bear tag i jokingly asked (i knew him pretty well after a week long bow hunting course in which he constantly ,again jokingly, talked trash about traditional bows)
"what am i supposed to do with this?"  and he said
"nothing too stupid i hope" ;D >:D
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 11:12:18 pm »
Me too. Yes sir. One arrow at this bear here in the fall. Early Sept

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30570.msg405260.html#msg405260

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:14:39 am »
Very nice Cip!  I hope to be that lucky. 

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 11:58:49 am »
CMB, I don't have any knowledge of that area but have hunted bears often.  You can not use any thing that can be poured out on the ground that is considered bating however you can have a nice breakfast out in the woods and fry up some bacon in the skillet. :o It is also good for your skillet to fry some maple syrup.  >:D After your nice breakfast in your remote creek bottom. It's good to take a stroll and burn off those calories with fresh salmon skins tied to you feet. The dragging across the ground will give your legs a little extra workout. at this point you should find a nice comfortable spot to sit and catch your breath. but be carefull to be well concealed because I have heard that bears frequent places like that. :o >:D >:D

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:32:26 pm »
Keenan, I like your way of thinking!  And I like maple bacon. ;D

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 03:45:51 pm »
The season is half-way over and I have only made it out once, just an overnighter the first weekend of the season.  One of the pitfalls of hunting close to home is thinking you can always get out there next weekend, and then before you know it the season is over.  Anyway, the first trip I found some old tracks in a snow field that looked like they belonged to a sizeable bear that must have moved around a bit during some unseasonably warm days we had several weeks prior.  Other than that, I found no other bear sign, but enjoyed being out in the woods with bow in hand.  I am hoping to make it out this weekend and the next.  Should be some more activity now. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 07:32:23 pm »
Take out your pocket knife and cut off a small corner of the bear hunting license. 
Put it in your mouth. 
Chew, but do not swallow. 
Continue chewing. 
What does it taste like?
Does the ink on the paper add any flavor? 
What is the texture? 
Think deeply about it. 
Spit it out. 

Now, would you rather eat the bear or the bear tags?  Get your lazy butt off the couch and get out there, knucklehead!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 02:42:37 pm »
Well I ended up eating a piece of my tag this weekend...did not make it out there.  I could ramble a long list of excuses, including cooking the tread off of my boots, but really it just boils down to the wind and the moon....they just weren't right.   ;)  I did have a dream last night that I was driving up an old logging road when an enormous black bear, built like a paleo cave bear, walking down the road toward the rig, continued as I got out and grabbed my bow.  He walked right up and opened up his big mouth which I shot right into, dropping him on the spot....but for some reason I still had trouble getting this bear cleaned and butchered despite falling right next to the truck.  I vaguely remember having to work his frozen quarters back and forth to loosen him up for skinning.

So back to the waking world.  I will get out there! 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 04:41:08 pm »
Go get 'em!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.