Author Topic: Lilac for bow wood.....  (Read 3697 times)

TurtleCreek

Lilac for bow wood.....
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:18:40 am »
  Not sure if this is a stupid question, but here it goes.  I have seen some guys use Lilac as bow wood before and was wondering if this is the same "Lilac" that blooms with the light purple clusters of flowers in the spring?  I was talking trees/shrubs with a lady at work and she has a friend that has some extremely over-grown Lilacs.  She described some of them as being 10 to 12 feet tall and about the diameter of a softball at the base and a little larger.  Would this be worthy to cut and give a try as bow wood?

TurtleCreek

Re: Lilac for bow wood.....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:29:08 am »
  Also, what is the specific gravity of this particular type?

Offline Holten101

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:47:05 am »
Lilac is awsome bow wood.

It is hard and has very high SG (82 according to tbb4). It dries sloooowly, and checks badly if care is not taken. Propellar twist is normal, regular long straight pieces are not;-). Again...i rate it among the best bow woods out there.

Cheers

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 01:50:29 pm »
I have been watching my neighbors lilac 'jungle' each year, waiting for some to be just big enough befor I ask if I can trim them for her.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 02:05:01 pm »
I think Blackhawk made one? Cant remember for sure.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 03:03:36 pm »
I think Blackhawk made one? Cant remember for sure.

Nope...Lee cut some last year n was playing with it earlier this year,not sure what came of it though?

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:16:26 am »
  I haven't gone over there yet to check them out, but she did say that they were fairly straight, but what's straight to one, may not be to another.  So we will see....  I will post pics when I make it over there.

Offline bambule

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 08:42:57 am »
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:14:49 am »
  LILAC is a bush. I've never used it but have read of people useing it to make a bow. Give it a try it's free so it only cost you time. We can aways use the exserance.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 12:36:09 pm »
  Not sure if this is a stupid question, but here it goes. 

Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.  :laugh:

Just kidding, awesome find there! I wish I had access to decent wood. I'm surrounded by pines and oaks, and I'm not cutting down an oak.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 01:53:29 pm »
Well, I am confused.....in that link I asked Keenan if the bow he made was Mock Orange, he said it was, not Lilac. Look at the last 2 posts.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.