Author Topic: first point  (Read 2123 times)

Offline paulsemp

first point
« on: March 09, 2012, 01:46:12 pm »
I know it is cheating but I have had some preforms laying around and all of you guys gave me some inspiration along with videos on youtube. After breaking two I came up with this. All done with pressure flaking. I need a abrading pad or rock- is there anything simple you guys can recommend?

Offline Bevan R.

Re: first point
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:16:16 pm »
Nice point!

I have a piece of broken grinding wheel. I have also read about using the double sided knife sharpener stones that are usually very cheep.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 02:27:23 pm »
Good looking point! Broken grinding wheels, course sharpening stones, sandstone from the creek, or abraders bought online all work fine.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:45:47 pm »
Thanks guys, I will try a old grinding wheel.

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 03:43:08 pm »
If you have large limestone gravel in your driveway, that will also work as a cheap substitute

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 04:14:23 pm »
We've got alot of basalt around here.Makes great abrasion stone. Limestone and sandstone makes a great abrader,especially for obsidian and dacite.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 04:21:07 pm »
Nice lookin point!!  I use a quartzite rock that I found on a gravel road for some of the finer abrading and a piece of broken cinder block.  Both seem to work pretty well.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 04:53:00 pm »
Nice point Paul!!

Pumice stone works good too, leaves a lot of dust.  The red stuff you see around buildings sometimes.  I was in the city a couple of weeks ago and picked some up around an apartment building.  >:D dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 05:07:16 pm »
Grinding stone. I have a coarse stone for initial platforms on a chunk of stone, & a fine abrader for building platforms on thin points .
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 05:11:11 pm »
Hey tower, you are talking over my head a little! Thank you and i need to learn a little more before I can talk to you :) You post some nice work on here and maybe one day I can sit down with a guy of your skills.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 11:18:55 am »
Great starting point!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 12:52:05 pm »
Nice point!  I use part of a grinding wheel and a rough stone from a creek bed.  Honestly I think the rough stone from the creek bed does a better job, but if I need to get into a tight spot to do some grinding then the grinding wheel does better.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 08:39:00 pm »
the abrader you use should match the tools you use. a grining wheel is too course if you are using antler and sometimes sandstone can be too light for copper tools. well done for a first point
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct