Author Topic: leeks  (Read 2815 times)

Offline jturner

leeks
« on: March 11, 2012, 05:13:49 pm »
Dug the first batch of leeks today, they are just startin to come up here, still small but they are good, and its fun to get the kids outside.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Dictionary

Re: leeks
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 10:18:08 pm »
i really wish i could have a garden.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:23:06 pm »
Is leeks a southern plant??? ....don't hear of them here in N. Illinois.

I just ordered some horseradish roots for the garden.   Gardens are fun...wish you could have one Dictionary!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline GaryR

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 10:35:44 pm »
I spent the weekend hauling poor quality soil/red clay out and put in 1 yard of compost. I still need to put in at least 2 more yards of compost and top it with "vegtable mix". I planted some seeds in cups and need at least that many again. I haven't done a garden in a couple years so wish me luck. By the way, I know its a little late but I did plant some leeks too, it will be my first time growing them.

Offline jturner

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 11:44:45 pm »
im in michigan, they grow wild. we dig em and sell em in the spring, they are just coming up couple more weeks til they are ready, most people i know call em ramps
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 11:48:02 pm »
lots of em in northcentral penna.Several leek and ham dinners at some of the fire companies near Germania in potter county

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 03:50:06 pm »
Love em.  The base to most good homemade soups.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 03:55:36 pm »
I have always wanted to try ramps.  They are in the "love 'em or hate 'em" category so it's pretty likely I would love 'em. 

Ramps are one of the very first green things to come up out of the soil in many parts of Appalachia and were prized as a spring tonic.  After a long winter of eating meats and starches, the body is in dire need of the vitamins in green leafy plants and ramps were a godsend.  Make you feel strong, make you smell strong.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jturner

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:48:19 am »
they are pretty strong, I think it was in the foxfire books someone said " ramps arent for ladies or men that court them"   I get tired of smellin them after digging them all spring.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 12:52:32 am »
I make a killer French onion soup...I bet these would "ramp" things up a bit by adding them to the mix!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 01:01:35 am »
I hate leeks, they always show up in my fishing boat and get my feet wet.

Leeks are OK, but asparagus is where it is at this time of year. I go for my morning run and watch the ditch banks for wild asparagus.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 01:06:19 am »
Oh man, wild asper-grass!  That's the reason God made butter!  Or bacon drippings!

Mix a package of Ranch Dressing Mix with a pound of softened butter.  Then panfry the aspergrass tips in that Ranch butter....Straight to the heart good!

Offline jturner

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:07:48 am »
asparagus is the best, my kids favorite food. but its way too early for it here
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 01:12:23 am »
You have sick kids!   ;D

My neices once had overcooked asparagus served to them and they still call it "snot sticks" to this day!!!    >:D

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 02:40:41 pm »
We got leeks - my wife uses them from time to time. She also like asparagus in any form - usually a quiche - hmmm... maybe next time I will use leek instead of onion!