Author Topic: I have a question  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Blacktail

I have a question
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:45:29 pm »
o.k. i drove to sandy OR yesterday and my wife meet her birth mom that she hasnt seen in32yrs..i also meet a friend up there that gave me some billets that have been seasoning for 15yrs..when i left sandy my truck broke down and i got some guys from my church to come over haul us back..it was a great blessing..now this wood has been in the back of my truck for 12hrs getting snowed on and rained on...do you think it will be o.k...i am thinking that i will just have to try it to find out...what do you think...thanks so much...john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I have a question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:49:37 pm »
John, get it dried and be sure the back and ends are sealed well. The moisture probably didn't go very deep in that short of time but better safe than sorry with nice dry, aged bow wood. I would use shellac but any good sealer will work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline doulosparachristos

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 05:17:21 pm »
Well at least it only snowed and rained. In my neck of Oregon it usually goes; rain, snow and sun, all withing and hour, then repeat. ;D
Philippians 3: 7-11

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:18:10 pm »
Twelve hours of water will only make the wood wet. It's not enough time for insects to eat the wood, or for fungus to start growing. Just quick dry the wood ASAP and the staves will be just fine.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:42:02 pm »
Get the wood dried out and it will be fine.
Gordon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 01:17:28 am »
Ahhhhh gotta love Oregon's spring weather snow to sun to rain to thunderstorms then back to windy rain. All before 2pm  ;D

I'm sure if yah just let it dry out in the house it'll be just fine.

B
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 01:34:39 am »
sounds great guys..i have them out in the garage...and i cant wait to learn some billet work..john

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 02:04:08 am »
Me and you both, buddy. i have a set of billets that I need to learn how to splice on. And funny thing, they came from a yew tree in Sandy.  ;D

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 03:04:42 am »
Weylin, if you want any help with those let me know. We can whip those up in no time.
Gordon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »
Thanks, Gordon. You were the first person I was planning on going to.  :)