Author Topic: Crepe Myrtle staves galore!!  (Read 5547 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: staves?? Should I be sick? Update!! Sick no longer!!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 11:52:00 pm »
I googled crepe myrtle bows and saw several made by really good bowyers. Some left the bark on and some took it off. I can't wait to get started on one.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Crepe Myrtle staves galore!!
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 12:43:33 am »
lesken you can leave the inner bark on but it will have a crack every 1/4 inch or so , and be prepared to have mini heartattacks while tillering cause it will creak and pop the whole time. i have built three with bark on (inner bark) and they stop popping after a while, trust me its not breaking just inner bark has no tension. what i do now is scrape the bark off with my pocket knife and just leave a few islands of inner bark in the low spots . gives you a nice back . yes i was refering to back to belly thickness on the 3/4 inch , this is for my bendy handle bows , and never more than 60 inches long . if your going longer you may wanna leave an inch thick . you can strap to a reflex caul while drying ,to each his own , most ive done this way goes away while tillering , with any wood , heat or steam would be a better choice for adding reflex. which brings me to another thought , CM will steam well , and dry heat works with it also for increasing compression strength. CM will usually split with ease , if you have any issues with it not wanting to split straight , make a 6 inch cut in one end where you wanna split it and then split from there .hope this has been helpful

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 10:00:03 am »
Thanks, Ken. I should be cutting them this weekend.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 11:17:37 am »
I am going to cut the staves, today. One more question, Ken or anyone who knows. It looks like most of the staves have a max 3 to 4 in diameter which will leave a pretty high crown. Most of the CM bows I have seen, the outside of the tree is used as the back. Can, or should, you decrown on the smaller diameter staves? Also on the smaller diameter trees is there a specific design that is better? This looks like a white wood that generally calls for wider limbs according to TBB. Also, I read somewhere that CM compares to hickory in some ways. Does it also absorb moisture alot like hickory?

I know I am going to have to experiment to learn. I just hate to waste some of the few staves I will have. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.