Author Topic: stave by usps?  (Read 2948 times)

Offline DLH

Re: stave by usps?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 02:59:48 pm »
This is kinda off subject but I didn't realize ups delivers a lot of usps packages for them I was surprised didn't think they would do that?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 03:01:57 pm »
I get stuff all the time that was shipped UPS that is delivered by the post office.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 03:53:57 pm »
It's called sub-contracting. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 04:19:21 pm »
I have never used ups and I use usps for staves or wood all the time.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 04:32:17 pm »
USPS for me, and my letter carrier loves it. She likes to stop and visit whenever I get wood or rocks. She wants to know all about what kind and where in the world it is from.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 04:35:03 pm »
For usps, the magic number is 84" combined girth and length.  If you keep the combined length and girth under 84" you avoid the oversize surcharge.  For example a stave that had a girth of 12" at the widest spot along its length would not envoke a surcharge if kept under 72".  If I keep it under 84" it is usally around the $10 -15 for parcel.

From USPS website...
"Parcel Post pieces measuring over 84 inches in combined length and girth, but not more than 108 inches in combined length and girth, and weighing less than 20 pounds are mailable at the price equal to that of a 20-pound parcel for the zone to which the parcel is addressed (balloon price)."

Same applies for priority.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 07:34:36 pm »
yeah, up to 108" combined is the top end of the standard fee, over that it can get spendy, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 04:41:13 am »
i always do ups ground. i know im impatient  ;D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 06:30:06 am »
A cautionary note for anyone shipping to the UK.
A guy sent me some billets, his wife posted them and for some reason wrote $500 as the value on the paperwork :o
They arrive in the UK and I get charged 20% of the 'value' as tax before they'd deliver >:(
I manged to claim it back by send of loads of paperwork and letter from the letter explaining the error.
Maybe she meant to write $50, or thought $500 woule be nice for insurance (as if they'd pay out ::))
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 08:10:23 am »
Good point Del.  When I send something to Canada, I write craft supplies and am usually very generous with the value, just in the correct direction  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 10:18:28 am »
I just sent a yellow stick to Canada yesterday.  It was a very inexpensive stick. ;)  I usually find it costs about twice as much to go to Canada as somewhere in the US.  There's an oriental man that works in our post office that is fascinated that I send staves.  He talked to me for a long time the first time I went through his line.  Now, whenever I come in and he sees me with a stave or bow blank he smiles and mimes somebody drawing a bow.  That starts a lot of conversations for me with the other customers. 8)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 01:10:48 pm »
  I mail a few staves every month way cheaped than UP'S. Here's alittle help I get 4 inch tubs from the center of rugs at a carbet store. I mail my staves this way for years. That about right GEORGE it's almost dobble it's also a killer to mail to the west coast for me in WV.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING