Author Topic: stave by usps?  (Read 2950 times)

Offline DRon knife

stave by usps?
« on: March 10, 2012, 12:14:58 pm »
hi guy's,Quick question,does anyone know if you can mail a stave through the post office or does it have to go ups? Thanks for any help. Ron

Offline Bevan R.

Re: stave by usps?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 12:17:45 pm »
Almost all my staves come post office. (my route carrier really hates me lately ;))
I have gotten many from sellers on ebay. They have all come Post Office.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 12:19:17 pm »
haha,Thanks Bevan!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:29:39 pm »
I send everything USPS. Never had a problem. My postal carrier thinks its funny that we send fence posts around the country.  ;D
  I usually wrap the ones I send in white wrapping paper and some just use shrink wrap. Don't want our postal workers getting splinters now do we.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 12:32:46 pm »
Post office for me too.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 01:03:46 pm »
Post office for me also.  I got a roll of black plastic that I wrap mine with.  If you are sending them pay attention to the length and girth.  They will measure them and if its over a certain amount it will cost a lot more.  I don't send staves over 70" and I've never had to pay extra.  If you ship to Canada its very expensive.  If you keep it in the lower 48, it isn't bad.  For me it's usually around $15 for a stave.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 01:12:50 pm »
USPS for anything long and skinny.  UPS will be a waste of money.

Staves you can just wrap in shrink wrap slap a label on it and send it.  That will minimize bulk which affects their pricing algorythm.  FOr bows I get free Fridge boxes and cut them in to strips and bend up a triangular box +2" in length .  It will take R/D bows and flat bows.  Recurves are a different story but they are shorter anyway.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 01:17:17 pm »
I have found a tube I like to use in shipping finished arrows and bows. I get a 4" x 10' 'solid waste' tube from Home Depot. Costs me about $8.
I can get a bow tube and an arrow tube from each one. I make 'plugs' from pine scrap. It is darn near crush proof. Light weight. Post office has had no issues with it yet.

Offline country

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:17:27 pm »
usps here.... although if Bevan would stop outbidding me I would have more   LOL    :)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 01:18:30 pm »
I have quite outbiddina ANYONE on ebay. The last piece of osage was a fluke. Did the min bid and nobody else bid. :laugh:

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 01:21:47 pm »
Hey Bevan, I was going to sabotage you but I was playing nice >:D

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 01:48:26 pm »
PLEASE, sabatoge me next time!! ;D

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 01:52:30 pm »
lol...play nice you two!!

It went usps,73"@15$

What I used to wrap it was some 15" painters masking paper and some masking tape.

Thanks for all your help!! Ron

Offline seabass

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 02:03:47 pm »
remember to cut cardboard strips and tape them on the back of the stave when you shrink wrap them.this will keep the backs from getting dented..
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 02:50:10 pm »
Yes you can use the post office on shipping wood. Maximum length is 80" and up to 70lbs. I use Parcel mostly because of cost. Some times it is very slow to get to it's destination though. I shipped 2 staves to a guy on the East coast and it took 3 weeks to get there. Amazes me how they can't find a 6 foot long piece of wood.