Author Topic: pine pitch  (Read 5630 times)

Offline paulsemp

pine pitch
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:45:43 pm »
Does any one have a link on this site on how to make pine pitch? Never have made it and would like to learn.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: pine pitch
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 05:10:58 pm »
There was just a thread on "arrows", "around the campfire" and here in the past couple of weeks.  This is how I do it.

5 parts hard but not brittle pine pitch (sap).  Make sure it's not soft or brittle, either way 
                                                                                   that is how your glue will turn out.
1 part binder, I use ground charcoal from around the fire, not brickett, some use saw dust, dry manure from ruman live stock or deer, ash, anything finely ground.

1 part bees wax, that's what I use, some use parafin, tallow, any thing similar.  It gives the glue body and keeps it from drying out and getting brittle.

put all this in a soup or tuna can and slowly heat, outdoors is safest, but I've been doing it on the wood stove, it is very volitile...very volital.  heat and mix until it's all combined.  I use half chopsticks for the next part.  Take off the heat, Take your stick and start roll it in the mix.  It will start to adhere like candle wax.  Make em as big as you like.

You should be able to push your thumb nail into the cooled glue with some pressure.  There are some remedies for problems you may encounter, but I can't totally remember them right now.  :-[

The more you cook it, the more brittle it will be.  If you have really brittle pitch, you can smash it up and put it in a glass jar w/ lid and pour, isopropal or denatured alcohol or turpintine just to cover it and in a few hours you will have a sweet sinew sealer for your hafting and fletching.  I really like this stuff.

Good luck, dpgratz 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 05:13:13 pm »
Thank you I will try!

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 05:14:53 pm »
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:18:18 pm by bowtarist »

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:16:08 pm »
Here's a video I made concerning pine pitch glue.  Also called "Cutler's Resin".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l51Raicc5I
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Spitch

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 05:56:01 pm »
I was wondering; does it matter what species of pine you use? Are there some you would not want to use?

The only reason I ask is that I pass by Pinyon Pines that are loaded, from where CalTrans trims the limbs that are at the easments....
Use what you have

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:12:01 am »
Pinion pine sap works great.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline neuse

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:39:20 am »
Bowartitst,
I have pine pitch from 3Rivers Archery supply, can I use what I have and apply it to your recipe?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 12:31:13 pm »
Unlike Derik I do use hard, brittle pitch for both pitch glue and pitch varnish. If it is not hard and brittle I cook it until it is. Once I get the pitch to the consistancy I want I change it's properties by adding bees wax(or animal fat) to make it less brittle and charcoal(or sawdust, dried plant fibers, etc) to add body to the pitch glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 01:13:21 pm »
Bowartitst,
I have pine pitch from 3Rivers Archery supply, can I use what I have and apply it to your recipe?

I think that has already been processed.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 01:36:00 pm »
I understand there are substitutes for the bees wax / animal fat part. And the plant componut seems variable. What about the pitch. I am in a pitchless dessert. Any ideas?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 01:48:43 pm »
the "Trading Post"   ;)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 01:52:44 pm »
the "Trading Post"   ;)

I had thought of that. Maybe when I have something good to trade I will try it. ::) ::)

Offline jturner

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 05:09:52 pm »
Im sending you some melted and some raw,  make sure when you mix a batch you dont use all your pitch at once, i did that before and had to gather more so I could add more pitch.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 12:48:45 pm »
Bowartitst,

I'd just make my own and keep the two separate if I was you.  IMO.  I've never mixed two batches together.  3Rs is probably a decent glue, when you make your own, you can compare it to the 3R stuff to see if it's similar.  Again, IMO, dpgratz