Author Topic: Tapering snakey osage  (Read 1828 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Tapering snakey osage
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:06:02 pm »
Calling all-
I have been searching and searching TG and PA about snakey osage staves. I have one of my own and it looks like it will be an awesome looking bow if I get the nerve up to lay out the bow... Heres my question for all you guys...

How do you follow the grain on the tapers... I am looking to be 1 3/4 to mid limb tapering to 1/2 inch as in Gary's Rattlestick DVD... but if you taper down your going to cut through the growth rings...I'm stumped ???   ???

Do you just try to follow the center line through the taper the best you can stepping down between each section from each measurement from the center line as described 3/4 5/8 1/2 3/8 1/4????

Stringman

Re: Tapering snakey osage
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 04:35:36 pm »
You pretty much nailed it. The trick is getting a good center line. Thats one reason its so important to split and not saw snakey osage. Then use a draw knife and really let the blade follow the grain instead of trying to cut thru it.

Another thing is that (IMO) osage doesn't need to be that wide. I know it sounds minor, but an inch and a half is plenty for width (many of mine are only 1 1/4") but there are a lot of differebt ways to make bows so go with what ya like.

Pics please!!!  ;D ;)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:01:26 am »
Yes ,and i second the pics.
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 02:47:52 am »
Yes thats how you do it. Depending on how snakey the stave is you may have to mark it every 2-3 inches and then connect the lines. I agree with stringman on the width, unless you plan on making a really heavy bow, 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 is plenty of width for osage. I make most of mine 1-1/4 or less.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 04:33:35 am »
Ok guys I ment to say that the bow would be 1 1/2 inch wide... don't know why I was thinking 1 3/4 wide. I will put up a picture tomorrow of the stave and the growth rings.. I am getting excited to start this one.... Oh and I am coming up with a cool little contraption for working on the bows on the go... stay in touch for pics with that!!!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 09:01:32 am »
If the stave is split (rather than sawn), it is relatively easy to follow the snakes. Put the stave with the back side up, and meticulously follow the highest point of the crown on the back. Mark the highest point over the entire length of the stave, not the center of the width, but really the top of the crown. This will be your center line. Now look for knots or cracks that you need to avoid in the final outline. Mark the center as well. Now mark the width of the easier limb first. Say 1.50" at handle fade, 1.25 at midlimb and 0.50" at the nock. That means you mark half that width either side from the center line. Also mark the width between these three points. 1.375"  at 25% from handle, 0.875" wide at 75% from handle, et cetera. Once you have a few marked points for width established on the stave, connect the dots freehand. Avoid cracks/knots by swirling around them. Then do the same with the second limb. Measure width from the previous limb to transfer these sizes to the second limb, so both limb are equally wide and tapered.
The width is now established. But the tips may not be alligned with the handle. This may be corrected later, when the stave is about floor tillered. Use heat/steam to correct the string allignment.

Jorik
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:38:19 am »
I do about like the others,center line following the longitudinal grain first thing. Then I mark center of bow and lay out the handle and fad area,no need to follow grain there unless you are doing a bend in the handle bow. Then I mark half way of limb and if I am making the limb 1 1/2 at the fade I will make marks every 1/2/3 inches depending on how snaky the limb is.I will mark 3/4 off each side of the center line and connect dots.Half the limb is done at that point.The  I will go 1/4 on both sides of center line at the tip.then from mid limb I will decide depending on how snaky it is on how to break the limb up. 2 or 3 inch increments usually.then I decide how much to drop to take me from 1 and 1/2 at the mid limb to 1/2 at the tip.Usually 1/32 per section,and believe me you can as Darksoul said cheat a little on this. Mark dot to dot and it's done.Now lay the other limb out the same way.If their is a difference I start with the snakyest limb first. Good luck and keep us updated on the progress.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 10:25:35 am »
There's lay out info on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!