Author Topic: Got outbid on some osage  (Read 5363 times)

Offline Badger

Got outbid on some osage
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:54:36 am »
  I was out cleaning out my garage today and heard my speakers say I had e email. I went to check my e mail and was notified I had been outbid on some osage staves on e bay.
   For the first time I was glad I had gotten outbid, I dug out over 60 bows that I still need to finish, 30 of them osage. All of them are at full tiller but not sanded or a broken string nock, or limbs need some alignment but never the less unfinished. I retired from my job last week and promised myself I won't start another bow until all the ones I have are either finished, cut up or gotten rid of.
     About 3 years ago I really slowed down on my bow building, the last two weeks since retiring I have gotten back into it and my sinuses are reminding me why I quit last time LOL. I really recomend wearing a dust mask, it never bothered me for over 10 years now sanding 1 bow leaves me suffering for hours.
     Besided the 60 unfinished in the garage I found about 30 more in the house I am still working on. This should keep me busy for a few months.

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Got outbid on some osage
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 01:01:25 am »
Man o man... You sure have a lot of bows.... If ya need me to take one of those 90 off your hands so you have a little extra room I would be happy to do so....  >:D I could even save ya some suffering and sand it up... ;D

Jon

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 01:05:17 am »
Howdy,   It certainly does sound like you have plenty to work on.  Some how it's still nice to look at a raw piece of wood start planning how this one would make a good bow.
The whole wood dust allergy is nasty.   I find myself wearing a dust mask more, or suffering the consequence's.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 01:07:32 am »
Steve, if you need some grunt work done bring a few of those unfinished bows to the Classic and I'll help you out. I'm sure we can find a scraper and vice.    ;)

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 01:19:14 am »
Steve I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your work. Hope you enjoy your retirement, with as many projects as you have going I'm sure you will stay busy. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 03:08:51 am »
Sounds like you've been busy.  I've never made a bow, but if you're lookin to lighten your load a bit, I'd be happy to talk a trade w/ you.  PM me if you're interested. dpgratz

CONGRATZ on the retirement too!!
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 10:07:51 am »
   Pat, I plan to not bring any bows to the classic as I am flying. I am going to make a couple hopefully and then give them away when I leave if they are suitable and safe.
   Most of the bows in my stack are either problem staves or some kind of odd ball experiement. I will post them as I finish them up. I plan to keep about 16 bows ( my rack size) and give the rest away. I have always been more of an experimental type bowyer than a real craftsman so I don't often showcase my work.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:33:19 am »
Steve... if you need some where for any of those bows to go, you can send one my way!! ;) ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:38:23 am »
I got a bunch I need to finish myself,I planed on doing that and put one in the vice a couple of weeks ago,been moved out of the way a few times but still in the vive,I did manage to make a few marks on it where it needs some scraping. ;) :) :)
By the way got you a really clean piece of HHB/IW it has a little twist but very clean. Osage or what ever else you want you can pick when you get there.You got a plan yet on when you are flying out . :) :) Gray Davis is staying in the cabin
also with us so their should be some interesting selfbow talk over the week. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 11:06:06 am »
I got a bunch I need to finish myself,I planed on doing that and put one in the vice a couple of weeks ago,been moved out of the way a few times but still in the vive,I did manage to make a few marks on it where it needs some scraping. ;) :) :)
By the way got you a really clean piece of HHB/IW it has a little twist but very clean. Osage or what ever else you want you can pick when you get there.You got a plan yet on when you are flying out . :) :) Gray Davis is staying in the cabin
also with us so their should be some interesting selfbow talk over the week. ;) :) :)
   Pappy

Now that's a discussion id love to sit in on and tape my mouth shut and just listen 8)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 11:21:50 am »
I've slowed down too but I still have bows everywhere.  I give a few away here and there. I'm working on a red oak bow now. I have some BL in the wings waiting. Congratulations on your retirement. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 11:25:31 am »
I really understand the dust thing, been having some problems with the stuff myself lately. Osage, mild hay fever, walnut, the dust induced equivalent of a bad cold, even with a dust mask and my dust collection system running.

I find I need a day between work sessions to let everything clear out in my head.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 11:35:38 am »
Congrats on retirement... I'm nearly there, just do a couple of days work a week to keep the brain active and keep me out from under Mrs Cat's feet ;).
It pays the utility bills and puts a few pence into the pension pot (so the fundmanagers and other sharks can keep paying themselves big bonuses whilst my pension shrinks)
Don't suppose you'll be short of stuff to do.... so many bows to make.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 11:38:12 am »
   Pappy

Now that's a discussion id love to sit in on and tape my mouth shut and just listen 8)

I am with you Chris !!
Since Pappy has not been to Cloverdale in a few years I have not had a chance to sit and listen to him and Gary together ,and then throw Badger in there Oh my ,I sure hope I can get there for that!!

This is one of the reasons I keep begging Pappy to come to Marshall I miss the great debates that happen when we are all together !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 12:13:51 pm »
  My love for bow making is not unlike my love for women. I wanted to try them all. Old, young, fancy, skinny, fat, fast, slow. Just like women I seem to have settled into dependable, pleaseant to look at, and nice to hold. I just love picking up a piece of wood and making it bend without destryong it. Lat night I found a strip of yew sapwood I had cut off a stave and saved, about 1 1/16 wide and 50 inches long. Next thing I know I got her bending and she feels just lovely at about 35#, now I am thinking about stacking some sinew on the back and reflexing it hoping for 45#. It made me realize thats what I really love about bow making, not so much the sure things as the ones that have potential!