Author Topic: black ash - more pics, retraction! 1.2 in wide not 1 in :P  (Read 4194 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

black ash - more pics, retraction! 1.2 in wide not 1 in :P
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:54:12 am »
hey guys, mostly im posting this one for gstoneberg cuz i dnt kow how to send a pic in msg form but i thought everyone else might enjoy a gander.  This one is kinda special because it was the first real tree i cut down locally for staves.  It is black ash as far as i know, judging by barrk leaf orientation, a tipoff from a local elder (my gma :D ), and the fact that being so far north means it is really the only ash tree tthat grows to full height ad in any substtantial #.  I did note that unlike the rest of the stand (2 or 3 more that i cut) it as the only one with decent rings and early/latewood ratio.

it has jus been a side project that has been slowlyy nearing comletion for months, so my #s may be out a lil

56 long, 1.2 in max width, just under 50 at 27, unbacked, gentle setback at the handle = about 1.5 in reflex, initial setback was double that.

only full draw 2nite, braced and ustrung tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:25:24 pm by nativenoobowyer86 »
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline ojibwatbowyer

Re: black ash
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:15:02 am »
Brutal Matt, im always blown away at the number of bows you pump out, keep it up man :)

Offline randman

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:36:46 am »
WOW! What a bend NNB Your ancestors would be proud of that one. Keepin those traditions alive. Seeing the curve on that thing at only 1" wide gives me hope for the stick I have picked out for my tradebow.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 08:27:20 am »
Sweet,love the bend on that one.Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:04:10 am »
Nice tiller
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:05:52 am »
Thats a beauty !  I have an enourmous black ash in my yard,I an going to have to look hard at some of its branches. Nice bow ! !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:25:58 am »
Nice bow.  Did you have a problem with chrysals?

I started on a Black Ash bow about 15 years ago but never finished it, it's still hanging on a rack someplace.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 11:35:30 am »
Ojibwatbowyer- Lay off the sinew-backed bows and you will too!

Randman - lol, i think i need to down a big game animal first :D

Pappy, PEARL DRUMS, Sparrow - thanks alot, i really scrutinised the tiller hard.

Marc - no chysals! this stick was fairly crooked and took heat all up and down the belly to get aligned.  More heat treating than any bow ive made prior.  I think that was the key, as well as being very well seasoned and one of my better tiller jobs.

Im a tad busy til noon, ill get a braced and unstrung pic at that time :)
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 02:03:21 pm »
b4, braced, and after about 20 quick shots outside

then front view profile

this bow is unfinished for now.....i want to shoot it some more b4 i hand it off :) 2 be sure of its longevity of course, not because its so fun to shoot  >:D

Re: black ash - more pics
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 02:09:33 pm »
the wobbly limb on the right is the bottom in fulldraw, wobblyness showing in brace ad fulldraw as flat-hinge-flat, an handle showing flat but working quite a bit due to setback in that area

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 02:18:07 pm »
1 in wide bends throughout, 56 inches, 50@27. Very nice bow. How does it feel as you're reaching the 27 in draw. Is the stack bad? Finger pinch??
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 02:27:18 pm »
Pretty impressive numbers for black ash. You may want to shoot it a few hundred times before you hand it off.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 02:31:03 pm »
Dictionary - i can start to feel the slightest of both right at the end.

PEARL DRUMS - I plan on it :D got about 75 shots thru right now.

i just double checked the #s, 56 long, 55 ntn, 47 lbs at 27.  7/16 tips
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:40:01 pm by nativenoobowyer86 »

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 04:29:07 pm »
Very nice... I am surprised at the reflex retained from that bow... Must be a good tiller.. ;D

Jon