Author Topic: Little experiment...pics added  (Read 7809 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: Little experiment...pics added
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 09:53:15 am »
I have my first try at an osage highly reflexed static recurve. Imade the rookie mistake of getting it too light before getting to brace. It ended up at around 30# with a  hinge in the top limb. I will haveto drag it back out and try this.
Steve Bennett

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 10:05:47 am »
  Using your new idea, bloodwood or zebrawood would look pretty sweet too.  Great idea Pearl

Keep in mind the compression qualitys of the lam your adding and the qualitys of the bow your addinG them to. Your asking allot from that little belly lam when you glue it down. Hence my mesquite and TBIII experiment. If I wanted to be sure it worked I would use ipe or osage with URAC.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jtbluefeather

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 12:53:14 pm »
Can I use smooth on instead of URAC?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 12:53:46 pm »
Sure
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 01:27:48 pm »
Pearl Drums...I've used gemsbok horn laminations on the belly of hickory bows a few times.Once on a kentuck coffee tree bow.It increases my poundage anywhere from ten to twenty pounds.Depending on the thickness.Flat belly on the bow and flat side of horn together with smooth on put in a reflex.I wrap it on with a strip of inner tube and clamp it in a form.If the bow was in tiller before it will be after glue up.Horn will take 4 times the compression that wood will they say.I believe it in the results.A little more work getting the horn ready but it works great.I guess it can't be called a self bow any more but is all natural materials.Great job on your bow there.Now you got a shooter again.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 01:30:23 pm »
I forgot to add here the way I understand what's happening too is the nuetral plane is changed on the belly of the bow also.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 09:51:54 pm »
Pearl Drums...I've used gemsbok horn laminations on the belly of hickory bows a few times.Once on a kentuck coffee tree bow.It increases my poundage anywhere from ten to twenty pounds.Depending on the thickness.Flat belly on the bow and flat side of horn together with smooth on put in a reflex.I wrap it on with a strip of inner tube and clamp it in a form.If the bow was in tiller before it will be after glue up.Horn will take 4 times the compression that wood will they say.I believe it in the results.A little more work getting the horn ready but it works great.I guess it can't be called a self bow any more but is all natural materials.Great job on your bow there.Now you got a shooter again.

If the gemsbock horn is that compression strong then it would seem that hickory would be an excellent canidate considering its tension strength. I bet it made a fine bow!

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 11:28:21 pm »
Howdy Group,

Great save on an underweight bow. 

I have a handful of underweight, stiff handled flatbows.  Any chance I could flatten the backs up real nice (using a joiner), and then glue on a slat of Osage or hickory to add 10 to 15 pounds to the draw weight?

If so, who do I get the slats from?

And, thanks for sharing little project.  It's good to know that it ain't over 'til it's over.

All the Best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 11:53:35 pm »
Pearly nice save there with our National wood. That mesquite belongs in Texas. You beat send her on back  8)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 10:03:16 am »
Howdy Group,

Great save on an underweight bow. 

I have a handful of underweight, stiff handled flatbows.  Any chance I could flatten the backs up real nice (using a joiner), and then glue on a slat of Osage or hickory to add 10 to 15 pounds to the draw weight?

If so, who do I get the slats from?

And, thanks for sharing little project.  It's good to know that it ain't over 'til it's over.

All the Best,
Canoe

I would suggest hand tools or a belt sander. Leave the back if you can and flatten the balley rather. For lam's I just grab left over cut outs from staves and saw them into slats on my band saw. .060" thick seems to work good. I pay no attention to grain but the slat shoudl be clean on knots or bad swirls.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 01:14:42 pm »
Nice save Pearl Drums. The tiller looks great and the contrast with the Mesquite is cool.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God