Author Topic: Handles???  (Read 2101 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Handles???
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:30:59 pm »
Hello PA from NH-
      Seems as though I have been away from this site for way to long. I am currently looking into starting a new osage flat bow but had issues with the first one when it came to my handle. I ran my fades right into the handle to make a bulbus type style. I want to make a handle along the line of what is in Gary Davis's Rattlestick DVD. I thought it might be cool if we started a post about handle designs and people could add pictures of selfbows they have made to assist me in seeing what a correct handle/fade area on the selfbow should look like.... Thanks for all in advace who assist me with this!! Can't wait to start on this little gem!

Offline Gordon

Re: Handles???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 01:04:09 am »
Toward the bottom of the page I demonstrate making a bulbous style handle:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30667.60.html
Gordon

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:44:11 am »
I don't want bulbous handles. I support the bow against the draw with the heal of my hand. Seems to work consistently for me. This one was a 30# hornbeam pyramid bow for a woman who is one of my daughter's friends.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 02:04:40 am »
I learned bow building from John Strunk and my handle shape is still patterned after his.  Mine aren't in his league, but I try.  It looks like this:

If I'm doing a bendy handle bow I normally build up a cork handle that will let the bow flex and then cover that with leather.  It looks like this before being covered.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:18:01 am »
I usually make the locator style of grips.  I guess its a carry over from shooting compound bows.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:48:55 am »
Anyone have a picture along the lines of a howard hill style but selfbow obviously lol 8)