Author Topic: repair???  (Read 8293 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
repair???
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:36:38 pm »
I was tempering +adding a little reflex, and than crack :-\ a fracture across the belly
the question is can i repair this with the string wrap/ super glue, some other repair, or is it doomed?  :-[
Thanks for any suggestions
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:43:42 pm by soy »
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: repair???
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:47:29 pm »
Pic 1

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:56:17 pm »

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:38:59 pm »
Where is it on the limb?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:48:57 pm »
Adb it is about 1/3of the way up the limb from the fades under a character bump on the belly side

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:57:51 pm »
I made Mississippi Dave a BBO that had a lot of grain islands on the belly. They started popping up just like your crack for no apparent reason.  I had him draw the bow to open the cracks, filled them with super glue and gave them a super glue soaked thread wrap like this. The bow is holding up just fine.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 08:58:09 pm »
Wrap it with silk thread and TBIII. It will be fine. It appears you may have tried to bend it to soon. Those swirl areas are REAL buggers to flex outward like that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:09:48 pm »
This is on the belly of the bow? If so, there is a picture in one of the BB of cutting out a chunk and gluing in a block replacement.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 10:52:27 pm »
wrap it and super glue, should do the trick

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:53:51 am »
I'm with Bevin. The block is called a Dutchman, perhaps because of the practical ingenuity attributed to the makers of windmill-land drainage.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 03:05:43 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys ;) i think i am going to try the "dutchman" it would be nice to have that in my bag of tricks...ill let you see the results when i get r done

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:01:08 am »
It's not really a dutchman but similar. When using this method you need to be SUPER accurate. Both pieces MUST mate perfectly. If it's too tight then you will have problems -too loose and you'll have problems. It's possible to repair bows perfectly well like this just go slow and be very careful.
Wrapping isn't going to fix anything in my opion. Simply hide it a little and maybe stop a few splinters flying if it were to go bang.
Did this happen when you reflexed it while heat treating? If so next time make sure there is less bend on these island areas while reflexing by using shims/clamps. Islands are just waiting to pop out when under tension.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 07:32:54 am »
I pretty much agree with Mike, :(I would probably wrap and give it a try,it really depends on how deep it went ,with humps with knot/swirls in them it is very easy for that to happen,I finely learned not to give it that one last crank of the c clamp and shim it keep the pressure off that spot.Good luck,keep us updated. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 09:21:12 am »
Pm sent with a link on how to patch soy....wish I could post it here as its an invaluable resource and many wood benefit from it....soooooo without posting it...ill give my hints...its on dean torges site and is labeled patching a bow limb.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 10:08:04 am »
Those plug repairs are a real PAIN to pull off. I gave up on them. As mentioned the fit has to be perfect for it to work. Your issue isnt that bad and my feeling are your risking a good bow that could be easily repaired with a wrap Soybean. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.