Author Topic: Hinge cut tree's  (Read 8901 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Hinge cut tree's
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:34:17 am »
My cousin has hinge cut many acres the last few years. Any non-mast tree was cut. Why couldnt I go through and collect a bunch of ash, oak, elm, maple and cherry suckers for shoot arrows? They grow dead straight up off the trunk and are all over. Thousands and thousands with more to come.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Hinge cut tree's
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 12:04:57 pm »
Hey PD, dunno why couldn't ya?  (was there a trick question somewhere in your post???)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 12:10:54 pm »
No tricks Lee. I have never heard anybody talk about. It was just something that crossed my mind that never rests!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 12:21:43 pm »
OK, just making sure  8)  I actually think it's a really good idea...there are a few trees at a church i attend that have some perfectly straight suckers on them but they are not thick enough in diameter yet and I'm sure they will get trimmed off this spring...I've thought about some Osage suckers too.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:32:47 pm »
I was told box elder makes a mean shot shaft. I know they are all over out there as well. A shoot shaft should be tougher than a comparable turned shaft I would think.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:49:35 pm »
Yup, and besides the Box there are TONS of red osier out there and they make really great shoot shafts!
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 12:51:32 pm »
Great. I need something else to use up my time!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 12:57:46 pm »
You'll also find the Red O in areas that have more multi-flora Rose so that's a 2-fer AND you can look for sheds while the green is still down...

;D
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 01:01:06 pm »
Cut 'em all.  If you end up with too many, I'll take some. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 01:41:51 pm »
Walked through my Uncle's place up in Fairfield last month cutting Osage Shoots with Arrahs in mind.
Got about thirty or so drying even now.

We'll see how they turn out.  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline BearG

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 02:47:38 pm »
Walked through my Uncle's place up in Fairfield last month cutting Osage Shoots with Arrahs in mind.
Got about thirty or so drying even now.

We'll see how they turn out.  :)

-gus
kinda what I was thaanking
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 03:19:36 pm »
Osage sure would be heavy shoots!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 03:55:08 pm »
Got an old Bear Takedown Recurve that draws 75# at 28" that should push them along pretty good...
And at 10 to 20 yards I don't think I'll loose that much performance.

:)

I've also got a Mary Rose style Yew stave in the line up to be built, hoping for a 100+# out of her, she might be a candidate for heavy arrahs.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »
i ifnd all my shafts is back alleys.....
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 12:05:29 am »
Hey Pearly I have a BIG bundle of crepe myrtle shoots. I think they would make good arrows. If you want some just pay shipping and I will send a bunch your way.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.