Author Topic: Fruit trees, etc. for bow wood  (Read 1546 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Fruit trees, etc. for bow wood
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:57:30 pm »
Down here in the southeast a lot of trees are blooming. Some trees are really easy to spot like dogwood trees, fruit trees, etc. I am curious...we have a lot of Bradford Pears, which don't really produce any fruit. Does anyone know what kind of bow wood they are? My neighborhood is full of them. The landscapers just came through pruning and limbs are stacked everywhere. Also some river birches...I think.

Also, I went by my lumber store, today and carried Tim Baker's list of good bow woods to see which they carry. They carry many of them (yippie....look out board bows...more practice) When I got down to osage on the list, they said they used to carry a lot of osage, but couldn't sell it very quickly....must have been marketing to the wrong crowd. My question is this. At the bottom of the list was sweet gum. They didn't have any, but had something called sap gum. It was really pretty. Anyone know anything about it?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:22:40 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline oldhippy

Re: Fruit trees, etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:45:42 pm »
   Lesken, Never have tried branford pear but I have heard it doesn't make for good bow wood. Supposed to be too brittle and weak.
I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 12:21:01 am »
Bradford pears are the same wood as normal pear trees, they have just been modified so they do not produce fruit.  The wood will be fine to use.  Most people think the wood is brittle because the trees tend to split.  The only reason they split is because the limbs often criss cross and grow parallel to the ground putting stress on the main trunk, not because the wood is deficient.  If you keep them trimmed up, they will not split.     ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:15:23 am »
I was trimming plums today.Got some fabulous 3 to 4 inch limbs that were growing staight up,trying to find the sun.There will be some good bows come from that wood.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:17:59 am »
Bradford pear is a true pear. The woiod should be good for bows. The structure of the tree is weak but the wood is not.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Fruit trees, etc. for bow wood
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:55:51 pm »
Thanks, guys. I'll upload some pics later. Any comments on the river birch?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA