Author Topic: Little experiment...pics added  (Read 7819 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Little experiment...pics added
« on: March 06, 2012, 02:19:40 pm »
I grabbed a now underweight, chrysalled ash bow off my rack yesterday for a retro job. The fades are (were) stiff causing the chrysalls. I retillered the bow since losing 10# of draw. I wont toss bows away until they are broke for good. Anywho I had no osage or ipe cut into lams and wasnt in the mood to change my blade and do so for this bow. So I took some 1/16" thick mesquite lams and slapped them on the flat belly with TBIII. I realize Mesquite isnt exactly a compression strong wood, neither is ash in any sort. I will find out tonite when I get home and feather out the underlay if it works. If it does work it will be one sweet looking ash bow! I will shoot it 50-100 times. If the mesquite is going to give way it will by then Im thinking.

Update: Here we go. I gained 7#'s of draw weight and more early draw tension with the added reflex. I shot it about 20-30 times and I see no chrysalls anywhere except for ONE that was an original right on the edge where the belly lam doesnt cover. Its now a 45+# bow and zips a good arrow. The unbraced pic is immediatly after I shot it and after allot of exercising. I have about 1 hour invested in this project so far. The full draw shot is only 26" because I hate leaving a bow at draw for anywhere near the time it takes to grab a pic.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:34:58 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline druid

Re: Little experiment
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:40:02 pm »
I like your experiments, man!  ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 02:44:03 pm »
Waiting per your results  8).....and when ya got some thin osage slats cut,then send em my way...I got a failed BBI attempt(my 2nd bow attempt) that fretted on me,and eventually I wanna thin the ipe down and glue on a thin osage belly lam.  ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:46:56 pm »
Roger that Black Mockingbird! It has worked twice before, but not with mesquite on the belly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:47:20 pm »
I like your experiments, man!  ;)

A guy has to have a little fun once in a while Druid!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:58:09 pm »
Man, you get to have all the fun! Now why it that ;D?

I don't like to throw anything out either. Least you'll come away with is a solid backing piece. Waste not, want not I say!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:20:37 pm »
Man, you get to have all the fun! Now why it that ;D?

I don't like to throw anything out either. Least you'll come away with is a solid backing piece. Waste not, want not I say!

If it doesnt work this time I will rasp the mesquite off and add some osage or ipe and know it will work! I have made some real shooting jewels out of some seriously poor built bows in the past. Matter of fact any and every misbuilt bow from my past has been resurrected, and to my knowledge still shooting.

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 06:01:48 pm »
cool man.i can't wait to see the results.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 07:03:09 pm »
I finally made my first ash bow last year and am pleasantly surprised with it Chris. Those little worm tracks on it's back didn't hurt a thing  :o.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:23:12 pm »
I finally made my first ash bow last year and am pleasantly surprised with it Chris. Those little worm tracks on it's back didn't hurt a thing  :o.

I know just what you mean Artsy. All my staves have those. I go down one or two rings and its pristine.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Little experiment...pics added
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 08:38:34 pm »
Nice save sir! That makes it a sweet looking little meat maker for sure.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 09:18:06 pm »
Very Cool! I am curios how you get the belly of the bow perfectly flat for the glue up? I may have a bow that I could do this with...

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 09:22:44 pm »
 I like it! Might still have a beater bow laying around to try that on. Great post

Offline seabass

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 09:47:25 pm »
nice save brother.good deal,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 10:27:05 pm »
Very Cool! I am curios how you get the belly of the bow perfectly flat for the glue up? I may have a bow that I could do this with...

There are two schools of thought when it comes to belly shape on flatbows. Slightly rounded is one and flat with slightly rounded shoulders is the other. I fall into the latter category so my belly was already flat. I used the fine side on my super Shinto to rough it up and level it out a touch. Sanded it back down with 50 grit and blew it off good. Then wiped a light layer of glue on the lam and belly. Lined it up good and used 10 spring clamps per limb. Alternating which side I attached the clamps so the weight was even and the bow dried untwisted and flat. To add reflex sit the center of the bow on a paint can back down so the limbs can sag from the weight  of the clamps. The belly lam and bow can slide so the sag will add reflex after it dries in 12-15 hours. PRESTO you gotta second chance to finish the same bow. The only rule I see so far is you cant add so much thickness to the main limb it weakens your already finsihed tips. Have fun and post some pics if you try it out, good or bad is always good when your dinking around.