Author Topic: Hornstone and rock hunting  (Read 1112 times)

Offline DLH

Hornstone and rock hunting
« on: March 05, 2012, 09:50:39 pm »
Found what I believe is lower quality hornstone ran out of rock lately so have been searching more to turn into gravel. Found this on campus to boot gettin the most out of my education. Here are some pictures its not killer stuff but I think I'm getting closer.

Tried to show how it looked nodular to me in the last picture that's one reason I thought it might be horn stone seen some pictures of one of Jesse's hauls of horn stone on another site from a few years ago hoping I can hit the jack pot some time like that haha.

These last two pictures are what I think is good quality horn stone but I don't know enough to know what the best looks like. The point is one a friend found on his farm I haven't found any worth keeping yet there but it rock like that surely is around there somewhere right? The small piece is just some I found with the lower grade stuff on campus got me excited for a second haha thought more might be near. Wanting to hit up some construction sites but have a feeling they would look down upon that for some reason

Offline Will H

Re: Hornstone and rock hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:58:22 pm »
Nice :) I love me some hornstone ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:16:02 pm »
Looks doable to me. Them construction sites - well they dig a little deeper and i wouldn't worry too much about asking. Just show up on a Sunday and help yourself :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DLH

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:45:36 pm »
Found some good stuff pretty excited hoping I can find some more of it thanks for the tip will wouldn't have found it with out it went there first thing and found some rock takes some looking to find stuff that's worth keeping. Need to take a shovel with me next time would have helped alot.

Thanks for looking.