Author Topic: Sinew has arived  (Read 3020 times)

Offline MoNative

Sinew has arived
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:59:46 pm »
I got the sinewing process from Gordon, but is there any other glue I can use?
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Sinew has arived
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:04:35 pm »
What are you intending on using the sinew on/for?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:19:24 pm »
If you intend to sinew back a bow then hide glue is the best you can get.  Even though the glue is water soluble it is one of the strongest adhesives known to man.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 01:18:38 am »
Its for a horse bow. And hide glue is a no dice for me, need something else.
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 03:00:05 am »
Mo, when you are done processing your sinew you should have enough scraps remaining to make your own hide glue. Or you could use Knox gelatin which is just refined hide glue. If you are going to go to the trouble of sinew backing a bow, you really should use the proper glue.
Gordon

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:12:33 am »
MoNative,  Hide glue does take a little extra work.   Otherwise nobody would pay for all those fancy glues.   But... it does work better than anything else for getting performance from a sinewed bow.    And... what other glue can you make yourself?    I would think that if you can find the tools and time to create a bow, that mixing and using hide glue would be a cinch.   As Gordon said, you can always find Knox gelatin.   Most art stores have rabbit skin glue, and woodworking catalogs have hide glue.. as do Three Rivers and PineHollow  ( got to put a plug in for the people who help pay for this site.)   And if you can't find or spend for those, you can always make your own out of sinew scraps, or rawhide dog chews.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 11:21:40 am »
I don't mean to be discouraging but I have to agree 110% with Gordon & M-P.  If you desire a Horn bow or Horse bow then you really need to use Hide or Fish Glue for your sinew work.  It really isn't hard to make, here is a link to a Hide Glue Demo I just did a few days ago.  I hope it helps, good luck~

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31239.0.html

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:54:29 pm »
Making hide glue is easier than you think.  At least it was for me on my first batch.  Knox gellatin is super easy.  You mix it with cold water then heat it and your ready to go. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:38:56 pm »
Howdy,   Nice demo Lee!    Do you think we've convinced MoNative yet?    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline MoNative

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 12:35:36 am »
I don't need convincing! I am simply trying to make sure there is no loop hole simply because of financial reasons. Thanks anyway guys, I at least have on bow I can fool with that I finished.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:05 am »
You could always order a package of dried hide glue from most buckskinning and hid and fur companys, just mix with water as stated and heat in a double boiler.
If you use something other than hide glue on your sinew you will loose about 1/2 of the sinews properties. I have made over twenty five horn bows and I can tell you one made with the proper materials verses one made with wood glue or some other glue will fail in preformance comparisons.
And dont use liquid hide glue in a bottle, that is more for furniture than bows, it has a retardant in it that maks it dry ever so slowly.
Of course these are my opinions and others might not agree.
And by the way a package of hie glue is less than five bucks.

Eric

Offline MoNative

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:50:37 am »
Well, I have time while the stave is drying.

Offline NruJaC

• Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 02:31:17 am »
MoNative: The Knox gelatin stuff is super cheap and you can get it from the grocery store. I want to say it's like 5 dollars, but it's been a long time since I've picked it up.
Arjun from Reston, VA

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 07:05:48 am »
knox is like $1.50 and you can get rawhide chews at the dollar store, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹