Author Topic: New batch of "primitive" arrows...  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Ifrit617

New batch of "primitive" arrows...
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »
Hi everyone,

Haven't posted any of my work in a while... Haven't had much time this winter and my list of projects grows steadily...  ;D These are some target arrows for my short bows, hand made poplar shafting, 125 grain field tips and hand processed wild turkey feather fletching. (Cipriano if you read this, this is where those turkey feathers went...  ;D ;D) No glue used in the fletching just tied on with artificial sinew. First time doing this and I think it turned out okay. 25" overall length... Tell me what ya think.

Jon

Offline ErictheViking

Re: New batch of "primitive" arrows...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:48:08 pm »
sweet looking arrows. great job Ifrit617!!
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:43:01 pm »
Jon those look great! Happy they worked out.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:14:47 am »
Those should do the job!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:42:34 am »
Nice arrows Jon. How do you like the poplar shafts?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 05:00:56 am »
Very cool lookin arrows!  nice work!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:54:26 am »
Thanks guys...

Pat, I really like the poplar shafting, but have found that straight grain is very important, especially at the point end because they have a tendency to snap when hitting something hard.

Jon

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 12:36:00 pm »
Nice arrows Jon.  Maybe you could wrap and inch and a half up the shaft to strength it a little.  You should try out some real sinew too.  That stuff is actually easier to use than artifitial.  Good Job all the same. dpgratz  also , did you seal the wrapings?  That adds life to it. Superglue or anything like that will work.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 01:44:03 pm »
Thanks bowtarist... Yep I sealed the wraps with superglue... As long as the grain is straight on the poplar shafts, they are very strong...

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 01:12:56 am »
Right behind any glue on point is the weak link in an arrow. Very few wood arrows can withstand an off center hit on a solid object and not break right behind the point. That sharp metal edge on the back of the glue on point is the culprit I believe.
  I've been making cane and sourwood shoot arrows over the last few years but have enjoyed working with straight shafting for a change.  ;)  Poplar doesn't smell as good as POC but it sure makes a stronger shaft.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC