Author Topic: Poplar Arrow Test Video  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Matt G.

Poplar Arrow Test Video
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:52:32 am »
I wanted to see just how tuff these Poplar arrows really are so I did a test. Arrow was a less than perfect shaft with at least 4 runouts and a pin knot in it. Arrow weighed 640 grains and was shot out of a laminated selfbow shot off the knuckle at 8 yards. Click on pic to see video.

Heres a close up of the impact from 10 feet away.

Let us know what you think. Thanks for watching.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Poplar Arrow Test Video
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:24:52 am »
Not sure any would take that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:31:55 pm »
I agree Pappy. I think other wood would have a lot more damage. I've seen carbons that didn't hold up as well.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline kavogt

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:52 pm »
Was this a bare shaft, or did it break at the fletching? Hard to tell on the video. Either way, impressive. I'd have expected you to be picking up splinters after that.

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:16 pm »
Ken that was a bare shaft and it snapped right behind the point. I want to foot one and see what happens but that will be down the road. That shaft will get retapered and a little heavier point pit on it and shoot again.   ;D
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 12:35:25 am »
I was very pleased at the cloud of dust blowing off that cinderblock when the arrow punches it!!!  Dang glad I wasn't the one you tested that arrow shaft on, hehe.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 01:15:28 am »
 The fact that this arrow didn't shatter says a bunch about the shaft material. Right behind the glued on point is the weak link in this arrow chain. That transition from wood to steel is vulnerable on any shafting and especially if the point hit an irregular surface.
 I'm liking these poplar shafts so far. I've made 6 arrows(I'm only shooting soft targets) and am beginning to work on 4 more. These next ones will have a 10" rear taper...I hope!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 01:21:14 am »
I had one of my poplar arrows with bad runouts shear in half.  I glued it back together with TB2 and it's held up since. 

By the way, where are you all getting the poplar shafts these days?  I couldn't find them on 3 Rivers the last time and had to buy lodgepole pine instead.  Which reminds me, i need to start a thread on those.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:25:31 am by Jude »
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline kavogt

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:09:08 pm »
Matt set me up with my set of poplars just recently. I'll reiterate what I've said here in another post, Matt's a great guy to work with and I'm very happy with the quality of the shafts he sent.