Author Topic: Found some rock on the farm  (Read 1249 times)

Offline DLH

Found some rock on the farm
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:04:56 pm »
Found some rock on the farm that I kinda like have no clue what it is to be honest breaks good and consistent only thing is freeze fractures wondering how far I could dig down to avoid that? Well here some pics this is in South Central Kentucky.

This next piece is my favorite piece.

Want to make a hunting point from this eventually but I'm still pretty green.

Thanks for looking

Offline Jimbob

Re: Found some rock on the farm
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:13:23 pm »
Sweet find, watch some vids on youtube and start breakin some rock!!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline DLH

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:17:37 pm »
And if anyone is wondering this is all gravel now might have some flakes to make small points out of but thats it. Haven't caught onto how to thin it down without losing all your width the last one was turtle back really bad wasn't sure how to tackle that.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:37:55 am »
I picked up a bunch of stuff in middle TN around Pappys and other creeks that looked a lot like that. Don't know exactly what it would be called but suspect that a little heat might help it out - haven't gotten to that point yet.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DLH

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:55:53 pm »
It could be the same as down there Im thinking it might be ft Payne but thought  that was black and have never seen any in person just heard of it

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:54:36 pm »
That looks like "Mulbrough" it's a type of Ft. Payne chert.   Heat will help it out...a little.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 11:27:59 pm »
Congrats on a nice find :)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.