Author Topic: New Movie - The War of Arrows  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

New Movie - The War of Arrows
« on: March 02, 2012, 06:35:29 pm »
Just rented a new release Movie called "The War of Arrows" set back in early China...finally a movie that was pretty dang good with TONS of bow shooting scenes, arrows, etc.  I'd highly recommend it for anyone even slightly interested in that type of bow.  Cheers!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: New Movie - The War of Arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:43:17 pm »
Hey Coco Puffs.. That move was a sleeper.. Almost as bad as Sleepless in S >:D

JK.. I rented it last night. I'm going to watch it tonight.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:52:35 pm »
LOL, well for a movie not shot in the US (and finally one without having to read subtitles) I was pleased...let me know how you like/dislike it.

Later Fruity Pebbles...
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:05:46 pm »
Lee i just watched the trailer and read the plot, look's good to me, but i tend to like movies that the critics hate, think i'll rent it , Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:16:09 pm »
I think you'll enjoy it Bubby...look for the arrow/head they call the "Pounder" named for it's weight!   :o
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 07:24:31 pm »
cool Lee, will do, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:41:44 pm »
It might have been too scary and full of drama for Cip to finishing watching...hence no report back from him  >:D
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline criveraville

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 01:34:32 am »
Hey Mini Wheats.. It was a cool movie. Lots of archery and arrows and swords. Nice points too.

The first minute of the movie is WAY off. They had German Shepards running in but this is ancient China and that breeds wasn't developed until 1899. Then they used Argentine bolas-- but that's what I get for being a nerd  8)

Cool movie overall.. And great archery.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 01:52:05 am »
I'll grant ya the German Shepards (maybe they were supposed to be wolves  >:D)  But those weren't bolas...they were Surujins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surujin

(me being a nerd)
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:50:30 am »
Watched it my self as ill watch anything with a bow in it!
The real surprising thing about the bows were the sizes of the syah, massive.
Also could not figure out what was going on when he used that bit of boo? to loose an arrow somehow?

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 01:23:31 pm »
Dwardo, I think that was a precursor to the Siper.  I found this on ATARNet forum (Horn Bow forum)

chang al-baz This was an unsupported overdraw where the arrow head slid back along the thumb onto the area of skin between the thumb and fore finger.

It required the utmost skill and steadiness. Without total concentration, a slight vibration in the body could send the arrow's tip into the belly of the bow or into the back of the hand. I personally think that the siper was developed to extend and control this kind of draw. Perhaps there was some analogy to the arrow guide used to designing the first siper, but it was not necessary.

It serves as a channel or groove for an arrow shorter than the bows draw length.  I've seen some pretty fancy pics of the more modern Siper.

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline criveraville

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 09:41:37 pm »
Oh. Ok. Corn Flakes 8) those had two balls instead of 3.. Cool movie.

What was the deal with twisting the string?

Cipriano

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 09:59:40 pm »
Oh didn't you know that twisting the string of an 80lb horn bow lets you shoot around corners and stuff???  Try it some time but you have to make sure to put a bend in the arrow too if ya want to be successful  >:D

OK, OK...so not everything was period correct, accurate and such but heck it IS a movie ya know.  (Ya liked Batman didn't ya?  I rest my case)
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold