Author Topic: How does the tiller look? -> elm 50@26  (Read 6167 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Re: How does the tiller look? -> elm 50@26
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 03:17:38 pm »
@turtle: yep that is very tempting...
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 03:34:42 pm »
I do believe we laid it out with some wiggle room in all dimensions in case of operator error. ;)  yeah..if you wanna shorten the bottom limb you can,and we can heat her up again,and I do believe we wood have some room to flip the tips maybe....I know it might go against the grain from what I preach,and a bow should be made with purposeful intent and goals. But in your stage its ok to play and experiment,and tweak some things to better it than what it is by a teeny bit. But it also ups the ante of messing it up altogether as well. Bowmaking is all about trade offs alot of the time,and sometimes you have to divert from the original plan. You just have to figure out which way is the best decision for YOU and you alone,because there's usually several ways of doing things to get from A to B.

Yes the fades are where your limbs are widest coming out of the handle.

Yes I am sneaky...and yes I sent you off with a stave (real bow wood,boards don't count imho)that was ready to tiller and wanted you to try and figure things out on your own,cus that is how you learn as well. Sooooo...lessons learned??...id say yes ;)

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 05:07:58 pm »
Ok, based on everyone's feedback, I decided it was a good idea to shorten the lower limb an inch and take some scrapes to the upper fade and tip. After it's all said and done I got 2# more on draw and a +1/2'' positive tiller up from +2/16. I think the tiller looks a bit better and should improve once I take a few scrapes from the lower limb to get a +4/16 positive tiller.

Thanks for your advice; It's appreciated more than you know!! Sincerely, Rob

The video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD-oQdPoS-Q

Handle feels good BTW, woot!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:11:13 pm by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 05:53:29 pm »
Idk bout the tiller,Ill leave that to the pros,but your over drawing the #%@& out of that stick Bro!! Ron

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 06:57:32 pm »
Did a bit more tilering. 12 inches from center there is a 1/2'' positive tiller when braced 5 1/2 inches. However the bow shoots great and very accurately and the tiller at 18 inches draw is barely positive. I'm wondering if it's partly due to the inch deflex in the upper limb. I'm very hesitant to take weight off becuase now it may come in around 50#s, which I'd be very happy with. I'm gonna start sanding and making it more purdy. Let me know your thoughts on whether there overly positive brace height tiller is an issue. Thanks!!

Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 07:03:02 pm »
Holy cow drawlin that line on the picture really helps!  Gott remember to do that up front next time.   :laugh:
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 07:07:22 pm »
@Dron perhaps some but I don't think it's quite as bad as it looks.  I'm squating and my shoulder is very compressed as I hold the bow low.  I'm normally much more extended when shooting and the bow is higher.  But I'll take that into consideration next time.  thanks.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline NruJaC

• Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 08:12:44 pm »
If it shoots well, then sand it and finish it. The tiller looks just fine, and it looks like you're giving due consideration to all the necessary things.
Arjun from Reston, VA

blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 08:34:46 pm »
tiller looks better,and acceptable for starting to shoot it in....tillering your top limb 1/4" positive at brace is just a good guideline and starting point,and usually gives good results at full draw....BUT...its all about what it looks like at full draw,and how it feels in your hand when drawn and shot. sometimes bows like to be dead zero even,some like a 1/16,or 1/8,1/4, 3/8" positive tiller...etc.  ;)

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 09:54:28 pm »
Thanks much guys!!  Just finished the 220 sanding and need to buy some finer paper to finish.  thanks for walking me through the finish line!  I'll post pics once it's all purdy.  ;-)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 12:14:32 am »
looks like you got it bending nice now PA!!