Author Topic: new video of me shooting  (Read 9382 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: new video of me shooting
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 05:01:13 pm »
abd, the thing is you can reach 150 with a 73inch bow, but if i had the option i would go much longer,so your right, its not somethign i would try doing again, thats why im waiting to get a long enough backing for the ipe, any hints on where i could find some bamboo or hickory around 80 inches? i found a place thats sells bamboo, but its in california and the shipping is scarily high, something close to 100$ i think
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

mikekeswick

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 05:23:46 am »
Just saying that you can't make a 150 pound bow at 73 inch doesn't make sense? Look at the draw weights of various crossbows!
Making a good bow is all about strain, if the level of strain is less than the wood can handle then it will stay in one piece. You could make a 150lb bow 60 inches if you so desired. The width would have to be increased and the thickness decreased. I'm not saying it's easy but the laws of physics say so!

Offline adb

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 12:58:29 pm »
We're talking about warbows here. Full draw lengths are generally accepted as being 30 - 32". No, it's not possible to make a warbow 60" long with a draw weight of 150#. Crossbows are no problem... their stroke length is only about 8". A 73" 150# warbow, drawing to 32" would be very difficult to achieve. If you don't think so, give it a whirl!!  ;)

Offline Ian.

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 07:22:27 pm »
I think possible is not the same as practical in this case. I have no doubt its possible, but it would follow the string and be a terrible bow after all that miss treatment.

When you find yourself some time Mike I'd love to see one of your heavy bows, you seem capable of producing good bows.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline adb

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 06:56:13 pm »
I would also like to see ANYONE produce a 60" bow that draws 150#@32".

Offline Ian.

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 07:07:26 pm »
I have a piece of Hickory I don't want, I'm prepared to break it in the name of science. I will video it whilst tillering.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline RyanY

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 07:10:53 pm »
Horn bow!  ;)

I have to agree with some things. I made a hickory bow of larger dimensions than the bow you're shooting and a couple inches shorter and it came out to about 120#@32" with some set. I highly doubt a bow could be made at 150@32" at 73" long unless it was very wide which wouldn't fall into what we like to call a warbow in this forum. Maybe an exceptional piece of wood and perfect execution could result in one but I still have my doubts. Maybe someone could do a build along and attempt such a beast! 

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 10:34:59 pm »
it was a almost perfect piece of hickory, and i did heat treat it pretty heavily, the handle is 1.5 inches wide, and 1 deep, to tell you guys the truth, i half expected this thing to explode during tillering or the first few shots, the ONLY reason this bow worked at got this weight is half that it was a great piece of wood, and half pure luck

Offline Ian.

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 12:45:16 am »
No doubt you have done well to get a good weight from it Noel, but weighing these bows is problematic. You can get fishing scales that go to 220lb fairly cheaply you could invest in one.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 01:02:34 am »
i an planning on getting a heavy scale for weighing deer next time im at that store, it would make my life allot easier

mikekeswick

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 11:38:22 am »
60 inch was plucked from the sky. The point I was trying to make is making a bow is all about strain. A 30 lb bow that is well made is under the same strain as a 200lb bow that is well made. When I say well made I mean close to the woods limits or to coin a phrase a fully drawn bow is 9/10th broken.
Ian - time is the issue...as always with me. I have many things that I like to do and struggle to fit everything in. However I have probably the best ipe board I have ever seen in my workshop at the moment....watch this space.