Author Topic: Laminate v1.2 as promised  (Read 22453 times)

Offline Ian.

Laminate v1.2 as promised
« on: March 03, 2012, 07:05:44 pm »

Ian
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:04:42 pm by Ian. »
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Laminate v1.2 as promised
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:10:39 pm »
Very nice tiller. Very handsome.
How about a close up of a nock, they look nice and compact.
Del
(What's it doing on my lawn?  ;) )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:15:22 pm »
Nice. What's the length on this one? You say the low string angle will help with distance. Although it will slightly increase energy storage, the tiller also results in more moving mass in the outer limbs which would cancel out that stored energy. This is assuming your tips aren't narrowed to reduce mass. Dimensions?

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 11:40:43 pm »
That is a sweetly bending beast. very nice
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Ian.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:39:36 am »
Thanks Del, more pictures to follow.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:04:59 pm by Ian. »
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 02:57:02 am »
I wouldn't suggest whip tillering at these higher weights but I believe an almost circular tiller would be better in terms of moving mass. Tips seem small enough but I'd need to know how it tapers to make an accurate judgement of tiller vs front view profile. In terms of mass you have to think about where the mass is and not just the total mass. A bow could be heavier than projected but have most of the mass in the inner limb where it doesn't move as much.

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:29:06 am »
I wouldn't suggest whip tillering at these higher weights but I believe an almost circular tiller would be better in terms of moving mass. Tips seem small enough but I'd need to know how it tapers to make an accurate judgement of tiller vs front view profile. In terms of mass you have to think about where the mass is and not just the total mass. A bow could be heavier than projected but have most of the mass in the inner limb where it doesn't move as much.
Agreed.
Nice bow.
Personally I think there is a lot to be said for an ever so slight elliptical tiller on these sort of bows, but I do mean ever so slight. I also like the idea of making the outer limbs a SHADE, (like 0.5mm) thicker and reducing the width correspondingly. Or gluing in a little (extra) reflex at the tip area so that the tips appear a shade stiff to get the string angle benfits without needing as much extra weight there.
Have you got any performance figures. Chrono or distance?

Offline Ian.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 12:14:50 pm »
Elliptical is the way to go. However I tend to find with these weights having the tips moving too much results in follow, and this bow is about 40lb over weight to be regarded as a performance bow. There are no results for this bow as yet, someone may be able to shoot it, but it wont be me any time soon.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 12:46:21 pm »
Very nicely done, Ian! Besides hickory, what other wood would you have considered using as a backing material?

Offline Ian.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 01:07:12 pm »
Thanks, Hickory is by far my favourite, I have used Bamboo but cant get it in good enough lengths. Other than those two I sometimes use single growth ring Elm and Ash, both of which can handle the weight. 

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 01:14:45 pm »
Very Impressive bow... I am in awe at the weights and tiller. Very nice.

Jon

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 01:31:42 pm »
Ian - try here for your bamboo. They have some interesting species and the moso is v.good quality. http://ukbamboosupplies.com/

Offline Ian.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 01:38:02 pm »
That's excellent thanks Mike i've bookmarked it, though I think they (PA) are cracking down on external links being posted.

Offline druid

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 03:51:33 pm »
Great work Ian! I think that keeping string angle low with stiffer limbs and more working handle is not very best idea. I agree with elipltical tiller theory, seems to be more adequate for these high draw weights. Great work...

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 08:49:58 pm »
Thanks, Hickory is by far my favourite, I have used Bamboo but cant get it in good enough lengths. Other than those two I sometimes use single growth ring Elm and Ash, both of which can handle the weight.
What are your thoughts on maple backing? Do you think it would it be strong enough?