Author Topic: Laminate v1.2 as promised  (Read 22452 times)

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
Re: Laminate v1.2 as promised
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 06:35:32 am »
This bow has loads of early draw weight, I will make another Ipe bow whip tillered to compare, but I think for the arrows that it will shoot its about right.
And loads of late draw weight ;)
That's a sweet bow Ian and I know you can fully shoot it too!  I agree that a few chased down growthrings of ash is easily capable of holding this weight of bow together and it's so readily available.  I send it though the thicknesser, chased ring down to 7mm.  I'd trust it as much as 1/4 sawn hickory but I don't know about maple personally. 
Have you used parallel tapers in the core?  I'm not sure tapering does much at these weights.

Jeremy

Offline Ian.

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 09:47:31 am »
Thanks Jeremy, we shall see soon I guess. I bought a planer/thicknesser only recently its been a revelation, though I never go for fancy combinations. The core of this one is a parallel 9mm, I make the core as big as possible allowing for thin tips.

adb - I do think maple with handle the tension fine, I have used if before on bows up to 110lb and the quality I used wasnt that good. With good grained 1/4 sawn wood or again single growth ring it will have no trouble. Something I tend to do on a back, and I don't know if you do too, is take the edge off at an angle where you can just see the core wood on the edges; I will see if I can get a picture. Like the typical MR shape it puts more pressure on the back and generally makes a quicker/safer bow.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Ian.

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 04:54:05 pm »
Just an update on this bow Standard arrow 266 yards, Livery 254 yards.  Pretty happy with these distances though I think I will go for a lighter bow next time.

http://www.englishwarbowsociety.com/DonningtonFlightResults2012_EN.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:58:12 pm by Ian. »
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 05:35:00 pm »
Impressive.
Some interesting results there, I'd like to see that 140# @ 32" Hazel bow!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 06:00:54 pm »
There were some very good Meane bows there, Joe's Plum bow was very special. Are you able to make it to Batsford Del?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 08:23:40 am »
It's a bit out of the way for me, but it would be nice to get over that way.
Maybe I could persuade Mrs Cat that we need a mini break and a nice B&B stop over and oooh look I seem to have stumbled upon some archery in progress ;) O:)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 05:45:30 am »
Ian when is the Batsford shoot on? I would be interested in coming down. Do you have to be a member of the EWBS?

Offline Ian.

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 09:21:36 am »
That's a shame Del would be good to see you there. Could always send Mrs Cat on a spar weekend somewhere.

mikeeswick - This year because of the jubilee it will be from the 1st to the 4th of June, (its normally the last weekend in May) Its run by the 'European Traditional Archery Society or ETAS' so you don't have to be an EWBS member to come and shoot, but the flight is EWBS run so if you want your distance to count you will need to be a member. You wouldn't have to pay the full membership fee for that day only an insurance contribution. I will find out for you if you like.

I don't think I'm allowed to post link to other sites so if you google 'ETAS archery' you will find the page.

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 02:50:50 pm »
I do not want to have a new topic, so I will write here because the bow is with very similar sizes. I still do not brace, because I uses Dacron and it very difficult for me. Now I must look for FF, which should help a bit.
this is a Bamboo / Iroko / Ipe - 76 "long, 33х27mm in center and 13x13 in limbs.

P.S. - Ian, your bow straight stops my breath.

cheers - George
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:08:33 pm by }|{opukc »
Best regards from Bulgaria - George

Offline Ian.

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 07:14:10 pm »
Hi George

Very nice so far, and you are in safe company with the combination of wood you have gone for, the unofficial world record is currently held with a bow of the same materials. If I remember the shot was about 430+ yards. And you are right to go with FF, if it helps you to know I make a 22 strand FF string to brace my bow for the first time. What weight do you want the bow to be in the end, I would imagine with your bow and the shape as nice as it is 150lb is on the cards.

I am making more of this sort of bow at the minute, I ended up taking this bow down to about 140lb, if I had made it that weight to begin with it would have performed better.

Cheers
Ian

Offline bodkinbert

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 10:45:42 pm »
hi ian, 140lb!! that's a practice bow for ya dude lol :P,,,,awesome job though looks sweet bro

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 04:55:16 am »
Thank you!
In my opinion, 130-140 lb will be fine. It was my first bow jumped more than a 125.
String from D75 would be a practical to produce??
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:14:26 am by }|{opukc »

Offline Amatol

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 10:42:53 am »
@George.
You could try fishing-line...I use fire-line, as itīs made of dynema, it wonīt stretch and as far as I know itīs the same material as FF-strings. kost less as well;-) Only "problem" with it is that itīs braded witch tend to make it "slipery".

Best of luck and a very fine looking bow you have there.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 04:17:07 pm »

Bodkinbert - Thanks, more on the way soon.

George - I knew a guy that used D75 for all his heavy bows, I would think its fine. The first brace of these monsters is the real test though.

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 03:48:10 pm »
Hi,
here I go ..  - 8 " braced. This is the most problematic bow that I make!