Author Topic: New Tools  (Read 2783 times)

Offline gstoneberg

New Tools
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:03:26 am »
I received my new ishi stick and pressure flaker.  They're wonderful.  Except I'm still getting used to just how much force that ishi can exert.  Wow.  I had a decent point going, was amazed at how flakes were running.  Had a stubborn bump I was trying to get off and really leaned into it...

I was shocked.  First point I've broken with pressure.  So I went looking for a new spall, and spotted a bag of little obsidian slabs I got from Bubby.  As usual, I broke the point, but had enough left to practice pressure flaking.  Surprisingly, I got a point out of it, though small. 

It had beautiful flake scars at first, but by the time I finished they were all gone.  The more I learn, the more realize I need to learn.  Cool hobby.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: New Tools
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:42:51 am »
Cool new tool there. Nice point for sure ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:25:04 am »
Nice point, George. Looks like it would make Mark Bracken proud. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:28:34 am »
Nice point and cool tools!!  The ishi stick that you got, does it have a little bit of flex to it or is it completely stiff.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:51:20 am »
An Ishi stick to a point is like oil to an engine. It makes things easier.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 07:08:58 am »
nice one George, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:50:42 am »
Nice point and cool tools!!  The ishi stick that you got, does it have a little bit of flex to it or is it completely stiff.

It has flex to it for sure.  It really helps it push into the point.  So far I'm really impressed with it.  The pressure flaker is the same stuff, but shorter so it doesn't flex at all.  Both use the same monster copper nails.  I bought replacement nails, but I suspect the originals are gonna last a long time.  They seem to be really hard.

Thanks everybody.  I'm sitting here at 4:30 in the morning wondering how crazy I would be to head for the shop to get some knapping in...

George
St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 09:54:18 am »
Ahh, good George - got your primitive delrin in :). I can't hardly think of knappin without my ishi.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline maddog314

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 11:57:26 am »
My wife got me a little hand flaker for christmas, so I use it  as an ishi by sticking it in a bamboo peice that I found... Have funn with your new toy....
Micah

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 01:22:03 pm »
Very cool stuff George...just how long is your Ishi (man that just sounds wrong... ::))

I need to get my hands on one...can you pm me where ya picked it up at? Thanks!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 01:48:44 pm »
Looks like 21" Lee:

You can see the pressure flaker and the spare nails I picked up too.  I'll PM you the info.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 01:53:50 pm »
Excellent, thanks George and that is one impressive "Pile O' Heads" laying there...that's gotta feel pretty dang good!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 02:28:51 pm »
George, Please PM me also if you do not mind. Need to work on the tool kit.  ;)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 10:15:25 pm »
Looking good G! I got the same tools and just hammer the nails on the anvil to a point with some filing. After having my Ishi for a year or so, I realized that there is an Allen wrench in the end :(.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 10:33:38 pm »
O really, under that little cap?  Thanks.

George
St Paul, TX