Author Topic: triangle point  (Read 1643 times)

Offline nativenoobowyer86

triangle point
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:21:49 pm »
this is an obsidian triangle point i did a few days ago, i will be making a fine notchng tool soon and was wondering what kind of notches YOU would try?  Corner notches George?
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Baldmoose

Re: triangle point
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:25:21 pm »
i would just do some side notches in there... they dont look that great unhafted but when hafted they look pretty cool
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:46 pm »
Nice point.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:13:09 pm »
good to see you are using that obsidian! How did the spalling go? Did you get many big spalls? The billet you sent is working great, and i made a punch and a small billet out of the tine.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:41:43 pm »
I just mount triangle points without notching. I glue it in place and wrap the shaft with sinew.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 01:50:35 pm »
Im glad its working out well for you Aaron :) the spalling went ok, i was able to get a few blade size flakes.  Workin on my second blade as we type :)  This point was the only flake that i managed to pop off even remotely close to parralel with the bands and ended up mostly in the grey/black anyway.  it was supposed to be a nice big blue/green blade buuuuut this and that got in the way  ::)

I learned a whole lot tho, and cant wait to get another nice big rock to smash :D

Mullet - not like i will be firing this point at plywood or anything but does it hold well with just the shaft sinewed?
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 05:09:01 pm »
I'd side notch it.  I'm getting bolder, but I've done more side notching lately.  Good looking point!  Makes me want to break some rock.  Come to think of it, I think it's time to head to the shop now. :)

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:25:21 pm »
Yes, it holds without a problem. That is the way most Yadkin and Pinellis style points were mounted. I've stuck a fence post with it mounted like that and the point penetrated to the shaft and snapped off. So, if it breaks or comes off in meat, who cares? I've also done pass thru's on armadillos without the point coming off.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:12:38 pm »
Nice one, haft it up!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 02:12:38 pm »
Looks good! I'd side notch it... It amazing what notches do to the looks of a point. Worth notching it for sure ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"