Author Topic: Steel substitute?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Steel substitute?
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:40:52 am »
I had this crazy idea to make a pole spear for fishing in the "primitive style" with a knapped head and a wood shaft.

Problem is I like to have a think bodkin type tip on it then the toggle tip.  When I make them from fiberglass carbon fiber and such I use stainless.  Think a piece of some kind of bone could be shaved down to a straight, strong narrow spike or prod?  around 6/16 in dia or so?

something I'm not thinking of?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Steel substitute?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:01:13 am »
A few years ago I was interested in making a primitive set for shooting alligator gars. Because of the razor sharp scales surrounding the gars body my weak link in the chain was cordage that would withstand the abuse. I found lots of primitive toggle type heads in my research, mostly from the seal and whale hunters. Their soft bodies weren't abrasive to the cordages, only brute strength.
 A wooden toggle with a bone tip or a sharpened bone toggle will work with most fish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:16:46 am »

Like this.  the foreward thin section is 5/16 Stainless then the toggle fits on.  I made that top photo one.  Purchased the toggle.

The bottom one is my first one that I purchased.  Basicaly a hollo aluminum pool que with a 5/16 threaded rod sticking out the end.  I put the wrong kind of tip on it and then hit a big asian carp right in the head on trip #1 bent the end of the shaft 30*. 

I'm wondering if a piece of moose bone, maybee a shin bone would be good?  Split it into three pieces and reglue them. shave or turn down to a rod.  Or horse.  something that takes a beating and has high density.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:34:08 am »
How long does that shaft need to be ?  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 03:50:38 am »
The pole is usualy 6-7 feet.  The bodkin foreshaft is a little more than the thickness of a carp.  Say 8" or so?