Author Topic: Questions about growing bamboo  (Read 6485 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Questions about growing bamboo
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:51:34 pm »
Does anybody grow bamboo for arrow making?  I found a guy nearby that sells all kinds of bamboo plants.  I was thinking about trying to start some on my property, but I had a few questions first. 

What species would be best for arrows?

How do you keep it from spreading?

How do you take care of it?

What is a good price for some starts?

Thanks for any help  :)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Questions about growing bamboo
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:47:54 am »
Clint, most bamboos are very invasive. To contain it you have to create a barrier that goes about 4' down all the way around the patch.  Some bamboos are clump type(not spreading) and they self control. Bambusa multiplex is a clumping type bamboo that makes excellent arrows. Unfortunately it only grows in warmer climates.You will have to study the different varieties that will grow in your area. Once you do that deciding which is the best for arrows would be an easier task.
  Check out the growers stock and see which ones will make good arrows. I imagine he would have some varietries growing at his nursery.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:09:30 am »
What about japanese arrow bamboo?  Judging by the name, I assume it would be good for arrows.  Would that grow in S.E. Indiana?

I think I could have grown a palm tree with the winter we have had this year.  We are supposed to come close to 70 tomorrow.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:11:37 am »
You live right there by "Cane Tuckey", find a native one that grows in the area.  Lots of invasives out there, glad to hear you are worried about it spreading, much more in tune then a lot of folks.  Go Native!! dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:16:24 am »
I have only been able to find one small patch of river cane.  I got permission to cut some, which I did, but the guy mentioned that he wanted to keep it growing on his place.  I don't want to wear out my welcome.  I put an ad on Craigslist trying to find some more, but I haven't got any replies yet.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:20:35 am »
Home depot garden stakes are great, I did the buildalong and they turned out awesome, unlike many other arrows they don't break when you decide to shoot them at rocks ::)
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:23:54 am »
You might be able to grow hill cane like what I'm getting for you. I could dig some rhyzomes and pot it up for you. OH! maybe I shouldn't have said anything!  ::)  If you want to give that a try I'll dig some for you. (not part of our trade!  ;) )
  Japanese arrow bamboo grows in this area. I haven't messed with it but others on PA have. Maybe Mullet. If I remember is make light weight arrows but I could be wrong.
  Most of the native cane has a 3 or 4 year life cycle meaning that a culm(cane) sprouts and quickly reaches its ultimate height the first growing season. Thev second season it maturea. In the case of Hill cane after the third growing season that culm dies. You can harvest 2nd year and 3rd year culms without effecting the rest of the patch. It is totally a renewal resource and by harvesting the culms you can control the patch somewhat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 01:45:31 am »
I've a Buddy who planted some up here, it didn't go the first round, and he's a green thumb, he said it needed a lot of light. kinda cuts me out..I live in the valley.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 02:00:00 am »
Home depot garden stakes are great, I did the buildalong and they turned out awesome, unlike many other arrows they don't break when you decide to shoot them at rocks ::)

That is what I have been using.  I would rather grow my own.

Pat, I will give that a shot.  Do you think it will survive the weekend and the ride back north?

Offline bhenders

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 02:24:05 pm »
Japanese arrow bamboo would grow where you are.  I've got some growing in Mid-Michigan (but slowly ).  It is not very top hardy in a cold winter but the rhizomes survive so you should be OK down there.  If you have a place where you don't worry about it running, just plant it there.  Otherwise,  dig a trench about 8 inches deep around it and fill with leaves.  Each year just go around the trench and cut any runners that cross the trench.  It's roots (rhizomes ) and runners do not go very deep so you can forget about the 4ft deep barrier.  You'll need an area about 10 ft in diameter or so to get enough each year and it will take at least five years to get established.  IF you are going to transplant bamboo, be sure that you take a large pieces of the rhizomes and don't move it when it is shooting or close to shooting.  ie, move in early spring or after it shoots (a month at least ).  Don't plant deeper that it was planted before, keep it moist NOT soaking (bamboo does not like to have wet feet ).  IF it is a type with lots of leaves, take half of them off when you transplant (especially in full sun) because it will have problems pumping water to them when transplanted.  btw:  the rhizomes look just like the runners but with small roots all over them.  Be careful when moving them.  Bamboos can dry out easily when transplanted.  If it's a tall bamboo, stake it to keep it upright.  If it's really tall with lower leaves, then cut the culm in half to minimize the water it needs.  With all that said, I've been very successful transplanting bamboo.

Bamboo is just like crab grass.  It pops up and then sends runners off to spread itself.  If you cut off the end of the runner, it will send a branch runner off at the next closest joint.  The culms sprout every year, last about three years and then die.  Once a culm gets to full height, it never grows again.  Mine will drop leaves in a really cold February (like below 0 when everything is frozen and the roots can't pump water) but will leaf out again in the spring if the culm is still alive (less than three).  I've got a phyllostachys flexuosa that is 20 ft high and the roots and rhizomes are only about six inches deep.  (This one is good for atlatl darts BUT, it's 8 years old, fully established and running for the fences at full speed. I'm going to have to do some major surgery on it this year. )

It will take several years to establish itself and after that it will shoot in late spring or early summer.  Each year the shoots will be bigger until it finally gets established and shoots to it 'adult' height.  Bamboo deposits silicon in its cell walls as it ages and that is what makes it so tough.  New culms are very tender (you can eat them) and only get tougher as they age.

Arrow bamboo is lighter walled, straight, and doesn't have many branches so it makes perfect arrow stock. 

You might also look at the 4 foot bamboo stakes from Ben Meadows:  They are solid and heavy but make a good heavy arrow.
I got a 500 box of 5/8 (I think ) two years ago... I'm set for a while... about half of them are OK to use.  Note:  I got one size from then and had to return it because they were too small.  I might have gotten the 7/16 stakes... I just don't remember... (old age and steel sieve brain ).
or from Bamboo Supply.  They also have good prices on stakes
Stakes from both vendors are natural colors.

Carol Meckes from Texas also sells Arrow Bamboo at reasonable prices bamboo@texas.net

You should also be able to find some river cane down by you.  Get some and plant it and preserve the species.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:05:12 pm by bhenders »

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 02:37:47 pm »
Thanks for that links bhenders. Not a chance of getting anything growing in my area. This looks like a good deal
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 04:18:01 pm »
Thanks for the info  :)

Offline GaryR

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 08:35:45 pm »
If you do end up growing some that spreads, you can control it with herbicide. I use herbicide at Mom's property in East Texas to keep vegatation under control and it works great. Be aware there's 2 types. One for grass and weeds, and one for woody stem plants. Use a sticker spreader too, you'll get your moneys worth that way.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 02:18:04 am »

I ONLY shoot those arrows now.  I get a bag of 12 shafts for $2.00 at Walmart garden center.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 02:22:22 am »
If you do end up growing some that spreads, you can control it with herbicide. I use herbicide at Mom's property in East Texas to keep vegatation under control and it works great. Be aware there's 2 types. One for grass and weeds, and one for woody stem plants. Use a sticker spreader too, you'll get your moneys worth that way.

The organic way to controll it is poke a sign in the gound "Free Arrow shafts"...