Author Topic: Last steps of my horse bow... Questions  (Read 1976 times)

Offline MoNative

Last steps of my horse bow... Questions
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:37:49 pm »
I am ordering prossed back sinew tomorrow, and would like to know all the steps I need to do to sinew the back of the bow. And what kind of glue to use that I can buy from the local hardwear store (Lows). The bow will have been drying for 2 weeks tomorrow. I cut the stave down 2 and a half weeks ago and worked it green. So I wanted to give it 3 weeks of drying after I heating and shaping, and its clamped down in a form for the whole drying time. Need Sinew how to help now!!! Thanks
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline Weylin

Re: Last steps of my horse bow... Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:44:54 pm »
I'm no expert but that sounds like too short of a time to season a stave. what kind of wood is it? I'd be worried it is too green, especially to take as much bend as a horse bow takes.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:01:58 pm »
I'm no expert but that sounds like too short of a time to season a stave. what kind of wood is it? I'd be worried it is too green, especially to take as much bend as a horse bow takes.

My thoughts exactly!  If you are going to spend the time and effort to make a bow, especially a sinew backed bow, take your time my friend!  This is a hobby.  That means you are supposed to relax and enjoy it.  I've made a lot of bows, and still if I try to rush it, it all goes wrong.  I remember being where you are at. The excitement and anticipation is nerve wracking, but you will survive the wait.  Eventually, with a little luck, you will learn that the destination is just the end of the ride.  Learn to love the ride and you will reach the destination before you know it! ;)   Josh

Offline MoNative

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:32:30 pm »

My thoughts exactly!  If you are going to spend the time and effort to make a bow, especially a sinew backed bow, take your time my friend!  This is a hobby.  That means you are supposed to relax and enjoy it.  I've made a lot of bows, and still if I try to rush it, it all goes wrong.  I remember being where you are at. The excitement and anticipation is nerve wracking, but you will survive the wait.  Eventually, with a little luck, you will learn that the destination is just the end of the ride.  Learn to love the ride and you will reach the destination before you know it! ;)   Josh
Oh I hear you. And its hickory, which I already heated till it was too hot to touch just to form it. So that on top of 3 weeks of drying I would think is enough. But right now, I need to know about the sinewing.
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:38:50 pm »
Mo, I am doing a bow build-a-long that includes sinew backing. I've only made it through the sinew processing phase, but if you are able to wait I will be posting the sinew application steps this weekend.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30667.0.html
Gordon

Offline MoNative

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:42:47 pm »
Awesome! My sinew should be here by then too, so that work.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:09 pm »
Ordered the sinew yesterday. Pretty jazzed, almost there!! :-\

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:30:37 pm »
Ordered the sinew yesterday. Pretty jazzed, almost there!! :-\

LOL, you forgot about the "cure time" of sinew...a bit before you are almost there but I like your enthusiasm. 
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 12:16:11 am »
Yea, Lee's right - there is nothing fast about sinew backing a bow...
Gordon