Author Topic: Maple stave  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Armando909396

Maple stave
« on: March 01, 2012, 03:10:07 pm »
This is going to be my fourth attempt at making a bow. I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips and what design/backing I should do it ^,^ Thank you
Bows Made - 2, Bows Attempted - 4

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Maple stave
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 04:30:39 pm »
What maple are you using?  Wide and long is a good rule when working a whitewood for the first time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Armando909396

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 04:34:28 pm »
I cut down the stave myself 4 months ago 5 inches wide and 6' 4" long with a bit of reflex already on it

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 04:35:48 pm »
2" wide tapering to 5/8" tips, 68" long, 4" handle section with 2" either side of that for fades. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 04:38:37 pm »
Whick type of Maple?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 04:41:32 pm »
what type of maple? vine? sugar? rock? big leaf? each has there own density.

pearl has some good dimensions there

COUGH DW Drums COUGH are better COUGH
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:44:17 pm »
When all else fails Bryce! 2" wide and 68" long always comes shining through. For the record Mr. I have owned and played them all.....Pearl kits are the the best. Now quit trying to hi-jack this guys thread and stay focused.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 05:25:50 pm »
focused  8)

i dont think ive ever made a bow that long before.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Armando909396

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 05:29:50 pm »
Thanks guys and its a big leaf maple ima work on it during school today and hopefully have an update on the shape. Is there a site where I can get some cheap bamboo for backing?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 06:31:29 pm »
I would not recommend bamboo for a maple bow. I would also not recommend a bamboo backing on any fourth attempt in bow making. Gluing up a bamboo backing requires a lot of skills; only adds more risk factors. A split stave of maple is excellent material unbacked. Remove the bark, and there is your back.
In what form has the stave been in for the past four months? It is most likely not yet dry enough. You can get it to floor tiller (so it just start bending). But it needs further drying for a few weeks before you can start the actual tillering.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Armando909396

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 06:58:50 pm »
So just leave it unbacked then and alright I'll just carve the wood into a basic shape and let it dry.more

Offline randman

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 10:30:37 pm »
I've not had any luck with Big leaf maple. too soft. I've had pristine backs fail under tension (explode really). I think the last one was because I heat tempered the belly and it overpowered the the back. 72" long molly (2.5" wide out of a 5" dia branch) slight crown to the back. Had it floor tillered nicely and then put it on the tree and first pull with the long string and "BOOM" :'(. I had high hopes for that one. Not giving up yet though, still have several staves to try on. I may try putting linen backing on before the tiller tree.

Good luck with yours
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 11:16:06 pm »
red, black, rock and vine maple make decent bows. there average density is around 40-44. while big leaf is usually around 32
Clatskanie, Oregon