Author Topic: First Osage Crush  (Read 4837 times)

blackhawk

Re: First Osage Crush
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 09:10:34 am »
Where do you live?...if your in the u.s and have HHB in your area then your obviously in the eastern u.s.,and your prob not too far from some osage trees. Even if you have to take a two hour drive its worth it,and most folks will let you cut it if you ask nicely.

Where did your buddy get his stave?

Sounds like a good offer from george to me too to get ya going

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 11:02:13 am »
Cut yourself some hop hornbeam and I will for sure trade you a year old osage stave for a green HHB stave.  I've always wanted to try HHB.  And, I love to help people get after osage for the first time. :)

George

Hey George, you will love working on some HHB. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jimmy

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 11:33:37 am »
It's funny, I grew up and live in south Kansas around huge populations of deer and osage orange trees. Most people just think od them as a pain in the a*# (yes, that includes the deer, not just the thorny trees). I had a moment of clarity about ten years ago and started harvesting both of them. Osage is truly a wood that it takes very little of to make a good bow. My uncle in Missouri wanted my father to bring him some for his well drilling rig. My father found a big timber from an old barn, probably close to a 100 years old. My uncle took it to the local saw mill to have it cut into planks. The saw mill operator said to never bring that type of wood again. I gues it ruined his saw blade. She's a little tough at times, but my crush for her has evolved into a full blown love afair. Good thing I have a wife who is willing to share.