Author Topic: Expirirence with boxwood (European boxwood, Buxus sempervirens)  (Read 1791 times)

Offline druid

Few days ago I have found one good boxwood stave, able to hold medium poundage. There are rare datas about its quality. Anybody had some expirience with this wood? I saw that some people uses Costello boxwood for belly lamination but I do not need informations about Costello, just European boxwood. Thank you very much!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Expirirence with boxwood (European boxwood, Buxus sempervirens)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:32:56 am »
I've only used boxwood for knife handle scales but I know it is extremely hard wood. I'm not sure if what I used was European or American boxwood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline druid

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 02:13:46 am »
Thank you Pat!
In some old documents (I think year is 1386.) is mentioned that medieval warbows were made off yew and boxwood. I do not know is it posible. Yesterday I broke few branches and it looks very brittle. I will test its specific gravity and add it here and to my datas, who is interested.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 01:31:39 am »
From a carvers perspective Box Woods are like ivory.  Dense, heavy and often stark white.  ULTRA fine grained.  I'd love to have a few small pieces for my own carving.  Sratch that white bit.  that is Holly.