Author Topic: Reality of yew wood...  (Read 20318 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Reality of yew wood...
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2012, 01:26:45 pm »
What really irritates a guy is to see huge areas logged off that had yew trees that were run over by bulldozers, yet you couldn't touch them..... :(
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2012, 01:59:56 pm »
It's easier in the UK 'cos it's a smaller country so there's no so much woodland to search ;).
Down South where I get some of mine there are some small patches of ancient Yew woods but they are all gnarled and twisted like something out of a scarey Disney cartoon... and this old witch there keeps offering you apples ::).
But seriously, there's one nice patch of woodland where if you stand by one Yew tree you can see 4 more, but you can walk all morning and still not find a decent straight stave >:(.
I've not been too lucky with the stuff that's finished seasoning this year and I don't have much cut for next, probably only enough for a couple of bows.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 02:44:29 pm »
CMB why buy one for 200 when you could buy one for 300 :o

I prefer a little twist, some checking and a handful of pin knots in mine  ::)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2012, 05:15:33 pm »
I've been planting yew for years on my own private land. So when your teaching your grandchildren to make bows come on over to NW Oregon and take your pick. For free :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2012, 07:25:23 pm »
Dean, I am glad those staves are going to work for you.  I still look at those osage monster staves you traded me on a daily basis, they are peacefully waiting their turn. As for the gas.  Everybody, or most everybody has to drive somewhere to get their wood, but I end up driving 300+ miles at the end of the day to get my yew, and I live in yew country. 

And to my earlier post saying that the permit isn't the limiting factor.  I feel like I have been fortunate with my experiences getting a permit, and that is probably because I used to work for the forest service, and I don't hesitate to name drop when I am talking to the special forest products agent.  The point I wanted to make, is that yew does not grow straight, and free of limbs, and those few that do were cut down a long time ago.  Basically, getting a permit doesn't insure you come home with good staves.

Bryce, I am printing your post out and tucking it away in my sons sock drawer.  ;)  That is a great thing you are doing. 

One thing I noticed in going after yew is that in areas that have been thinned, or have adjacent clearcuts, the yew seams to be more prone to rot.  These yew also have dead moss or no moss on them, whereas yew in dark corners has lush healthy moss nearly covering it.  I wonder if yew is somewhat intolerant to increased light levels, possibly the moss that grows on it is beneficial, but can't handle the light. ? Anyone else notice such things.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 07:48:59 pm »

Bryce, I am printing your post out and tucking it away in my sons sock drawer.  ;)  That is a great thing you are doing. 

my pleasure.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 08:05:46 pm »
Where are you getting seedlings???

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »
Where are you getting seedlings???

i gather seeds. germinate them which takes a couple years, but i cheat with a rooting hormone.

or i just go buy little saplings there like $2. there having a huge sale on the 10th and im gonna get a bunch and fill an empty 2 acre plot at the in-laws house. should be fun :D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2012, 08:24:19 pm »
What rooting hormone??? "DIP AND GROW" used in cuttings??? How is that helpful???I have read you can take cutting from them, but don't know the conditions they like to form roots??? Where is this sale??? Mail order???

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2012, 08:43:46 pm »
yep dip n grow. you can use cuttings or seeds. cuttings is easy all the instructions for that is on the box and works really well 90% of the cuttings will sprout roots. but you cant take a cutting from a shaded tree then plant it in a sunny spot it will have a hard time getting started. with the seeds sick em in the frig for a few months. then stick the seed in the rooting hormone let them soak it up. or just water them with the diluted hormone ONCE. throw em in your soil cubes in a warm container and sometime it takes a few weeks but they'll sprout. i usually go overboard with the seeds if you start 10 maybe 6 will sprout. if your lucky.

the sale is in St. Helens in the Lawrence Oil parking lot just off HWY 30. march 10th starts at 8am the line starts early i usually get there around 7am. from what i understand there only gonna have a thousand pacific yew saplings there. so there gonna go quick.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 08:53:57 pm »
Are you rooting in trays or pots??? Wrapping plastic to make a humidity tent??? Is there a better time of yr to take cuts (spring maybe?) The box if I remember right recomends 70 degree temps, you rooting inside??? This is kinda cool, got osage in my yard as well.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2012, 09:18:49 pm »
there trays with like little spongy cubes in them. yeah you can use plastic wrap.
best time is right when you see the daisy bulbs sprouting or just before....mid February
yep there sitting im my basement waiting to sprout.

OSAGE?! IN YOUR YARD? IN WESTERN WASHINGTON?!?!?!!?!?! your pullin my leg.....
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 09:27:19 pm »
An acquaintance of mine grows osage from seed in his yard in western Oregon. He says it only takes about 5 years to get a tree big enough to make decent bows out of.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2012, 09:46:47 pm »
Yep....grows good..(osage) Not kinding at all. Seems like Weylin can confirm west coast growing....osage that is! 8)

Offline Gaur

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 10:04:24 pm »
I was emailing with Jim Fetrow about getting a permit in Wa state and he said you can do it but said "it is about as hard as asking to watch the Pope bath"   ;D

Then like how others have mentioned the hard work of finding the good ones and carrying it back to your truck makes you not want to sell the stuff to others.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2