Author Topic: Reality of yew wood...  (Read 19898 times)

Offline randman

Re: Reality of yew wood...
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:05 pm »
Yeah Keenan and Vineman, It really makes you sick when you have to deal with all that bureaucracy and then you drive down the road and see all the clearcuts and slash piles the logging companies make with impunity. Most of the stuff I've gotten hasn't been choice staves but character branches and stuff because it's easier to get out of the woods under cover (I've never cut down a whole tree). Gotten some pieces along a river where the bank was lined with yew and trees get toppled where the bank washes away after winter run off. I've even gotten some nice pieces in a Seattle park that has many yew trees (I know where every one is >:D) and the park dept cut one down that was leaning over a trail (perfectly sound and was in no danger of falling) and threw the pieces into the ravine below to rot. I asked a worker there if I could have some of it and they said take what you want (I've gotten more wood of all types by following those guys around). Got some nice billets and a trunk section to split more billets out of. Long story short, I've gotten enough yew to satisfy my yew yearnings and haven't paid a dime for it. Come to think of it, I've never paid for any of my bow wood and I have more than enough of all kinds to keep me busy for a long time. I guess that comes from living in a bow wood rich environment. And one of my favorites is still vine maple.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 10:16:36 pm »
all i can say keenan is amen, good stuff. that why i buy my Yew now. not $120 for a stave, but still. because i dont enjoy spending an entire day looking for a stave worthy tree, and end up finding beautiful trees but all are twisted. now dont get me wrong i love wandering the mountains shooting stumps and spying on elk ;D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 10:24:22 pm »
Bryce is your supplyer local? I may have to have you hook me up with this guy if your willing. Most of the stuff I have got has been branches and some smaller tree's and nothing I would write home about.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline seabass

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 10:31:42 pm »
wow,i am sorry they put you guys through all this.i have a new respect for you west coast yew bowyers.i never knew.thanks for this post.Keenan i sent you a pm.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Keenan

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 11:14:20 pm »
Steve, No apology necessary.  I love yew and even with all the hassle it is worth the challenges. I have learned to scout while out in the woods hunting and hiking and once you are in the Forest service computer system it is a little easier to get around the red tape.  I have several good friends that work for the Forest service and though they aren't in the departments that would help me they do understand the frustrations. And I also understand the necessity of conservation and management!  Balance is the key

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 11:23:23 pm »

To find a good yew tree on flat or even semi flat and  easy to get to ground is very rare.

That's because ol' Earl Ullrich got it all back in the 20 and 30s, spending all summer traveling the high cascades with mule and wagon.  Or so I have been told. 

If you want to see some nice yew check out Ted Fry's stock in this video:    http://vimeo.com/34446295

BTW, there is plenty of yew out there...if you want to make the kind of bows the local indians made from yew...50" and under.  Now, ELB...start looking, keep looking, keep looking, now just give up and buy one for $200.   

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline okie64

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 11:57:57 pm »
Good thread. Had no idea it was that big of a deal to find and cut decent yew. Im glad im surrounded by osage. Ive never had the chance to work with yew but i hope to someday.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 11:59:33 pm »
CMB why buy one for 200 when you could buy one for 300 :o
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2012, 12:08:43 am »
Good thread. Had no idea it was that big of a deal to find and cut decent yew. Im glad im surrounded by osage. Ive never had the chance to work with yew but i hope to someday.

ive never worked with osage.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2012, 12:32:21 am »
I love working with yew, but getting my hands on the stuff is a real hassle. I've tried a few times to get a permit but each time the person at the front desk looked me over and then said the person who could write me a permit is out and I should try another day. Most of the yew that I've managed to aquire has either been gifted to me (thanks Keenan!) or I've cut on some property that a friend leases from the forest service. Keenan and Brian correctly note that yew is not abundant. As for the prime stuff that will make a war bow - well good luck finding a lot of that.
Gordon

UserNameTaken

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2012, 04:00:36 am »
Yeah, the forest service folk can be a lot of fun to deal with. I had a hell of a time getting a permit for vine maple last year. The first couple of people that I spoke to didn't think that they did permits for forest products except for berries and what not, which is weird because they actually have prices listed on their website. Then they ran me around in circles talking to their superiors and finally made me drive out to a remote ranger station to get the permit. 4 hour drive.

They'll make a law-breaker out of me yet. And for vine maple!

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2012, 09:35:54 am »
I am glad you guys in Yew country have started this thread. I have had my ups and downs when it comes to getting a Yew stave. More on the down side than up. Finally made a trade with a fellow on here and got a couple of good sticks. As far as all gas and trucks and so on  that is needed to harvest Yew you need also to harvest   Osage or any other type of bow wood. You guys talk about having to get permits to harvest Yew is any of that land out there privately owned? Or is all the Yew on public land. It is just to bad more bowyers can't get there hands on some nice Yew. I am blessed that I live in Osage country and can find adequate amounts of Osage for my bow making disease but it is getting harder and harder to find here also. It is being cut and bulldozed out and used for fence post. And not replanted. The day you can get a good piece of Osage for 50.00 dollars will come to an end also I am afraid. Dean

Offline Gordon

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 11:47:44 am »
Dean, there is hardly any yew on private land as most of those lands were logged years ago.
Gordon

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 12:28:08 pm »
  Do you have to have a permit if you own the land. I ask this because through the late 80's to mid 90's. I made 11 yew bows. I got my staves for a man in WA. Unfortanly he dieded I talked with him a good bit he sold alots of staves he said and he never said anything about ever getting a permit. I hav'nt made a YEW BOW since 99. But now I need a stave to build someone a bow now so if anyone has or knows anyone EMAIL OR PM me. I have plenty of OSAGE. Or the M word but would rather trade.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 12:43:41 pm »
how about the pacific yew that grows in idaho and montana?
was it harvested for taxol to the extent it was in oregon/wash?
have a brother in missoula who, with his son and son-n-law,
makes regular trips to the state forests for firewood.
a permit is, of course, required there also.
has anyone here cut, worked with or have experience with yew from idaho or montana?

wild women don't get the blues