Author Topic: Reality of yew wood...  (Read 19895 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Reality of yew wood...
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 04:55:18 pm »
Hope you didn't wipe with the leaves from the cascara, hehehe.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 05:23:53 pm »
this is a really good topic and im glad you posted it. i live in oregon and finding yew isnt very hard if you know where to look. like you said towards the cascades, at higher elevations. the closest yew forest to me is in Vernonia and is in a wildlife park. one of the trees growing close to the road fell down and as they where cutting it up i managed to get a couple pieces from the road workers and thats the beginning part of my first bow :) sadly i have poached yew, yes i know shame on me. i took a piece of the side. i was maybe 14 yrs old i didnt know any better. but last time i checked that tree is still there.

i purchase whole logs of yew for $50 per 6' from a man who makes furniture. and he gets it from a man in Roseburg who cuts it, pressure washes off the bark for the cancer research center, and throws the logs in a pile to rot. they even make vitamins from the needles. its sad. me and my grandfather have been planting yews every now and then since i was a kid ..... good fun.
heres a story for your guys. i went to buy some yew and one of the logs had a huge scare on the side. about 50"ish long. whether or not some native took it for a stave or something natural happened to it is a mystery. cutting that was wrong.

these trees and there bow making qualities are amazing  :D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 05:47:50 pm »
Bryce,

Interesting...if you didn't know your source, how hard would it be to cut it????
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 06:08:59 pm »
I got my yew in Western Washington on a permit 20 limbs for 20 dollars I asked about taking whole trees and she said she could write me a permit but it would be a bit more per tree I believe she said like $5 a tree. There is also another member here I know who got a permit for oregon near where he lives and I think it was like 20 dollars for 14 trees or something crazy like that. Some areas of both Washington and Oregon have ALLOT of Yew so I think depending on where you go will make a difference in what they will allow you to take for what price.

Josh
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:18:21 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 06:34:37 pm »
Definitely not trying to preach here, but yew is rare and it grows slow, and its also important to conserve it. 

gr
Humboldt County CA.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 06:54:22 pm »

Thats interesting....In Enumclaw, the forest service told me they would have to do a enviromental impact study...I thought WFT you guys clear cut huge areas, and they don't carefully not mow down species they don't use.

Yrs ago another member, and I got a permit to collect so certain amount, it wasn't much....he wanted ius to collect dead trees.....ah, ya, they were soon dead. :laugh:

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 07:00:14 pm »
Bryce,

Interesting...if you didn't know your source, how hard would it be to cut it????

what do you mean?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 07:43:07 pm »
Bryce,
                 You said you buy from someone else, have you looked into what it would cost to cut your own in the forest???

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 08:39:03 pm »
It is difficult to get yew.  I have harvested yew out of the Willamette national forest on a personal use special forest products permit.  $20 for up to 14 staves I believe, but the price is not the limiting factor.  If anybody wants to buy a permit from me to hunt unicorn...I can set you up for 20 bucks.

With the particular permitting office I have dealt with, you have to identify a particular locality that you are interested in and then they will sign off on it, or tell you to keep looking. I have been in places thick with yew and spent all day looking for one tree worth cutting.  The good stuff is down in deep dark drainages where surrounding old growth is intact.  The places where it was too steep to cut timber.  The roads are always above these steep drainages and it is a lot of work to get a good stave or two out of there.  The stuff on mild grades and flats is always twisted, wide grain, and full of pin knots. Getting in good with a logging operation is probably the way to go, but I haven't had any luck there yet. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Keenan

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »
  I agree with what Vinemaplebows is saying.  Over the years I have interacted with many people who don't understand the "average" price of yew. I have often tried to explain, that to do it legal you have to first spend a fair amount of time in the mountains, to find something suitable. It DOES not grow abundance. You will find a tree, here and there in a draw, often close to water.  And even if you find an area that has several here and there, you still have to find one that is semi straight and not just a cluster of gnarly branches, as most are.  The tree has to be at least 100 yards from a stream. Most are right next to the stream.  Then when you find a suitable tree you need to mark the GPS location and head to the Forest service with the info.  Often an hour drive or more back to town. If lucky you will find someone that is thankfull that you are doing things legally and they will let you buy a permit. Often you will get someone who thinks their calling in life, is to protect every tree alive, and they will try to tell you that you can't buy a permit. ( A lie)   At this point you have to ask for their supervisor, and go over their head to be able to exercise your  "legal right" to buy a permit.  Someties it requires having two or three people repremanded. " Seem exaggerated"  It's not! been there multiple times. 
  At this point you have now successfully obtained your permit.  You fill the truck with gas, again, and head back out to climb over several, "often very steep ridges" to try to find your target tree.  You take a minute to catch your breath while feeling like your going to have a heart attack, before you cut your tree.   You harvest as much as entirely possible from the tree. Then as required spread around the remains to blend into the forest.  You then make the two or three trips over two or three finger ridges to get them back to the truck.  As you load the last limb in the truck, you hear the words "STOP RIGHT THERE"   you turn around to see a rookie Forest service employee who has already called for backup, to assist him, with what he is sure is a thieving no good wood poacher.  True story!   As I tried to convince him that I knew what I was doing and was legal he insisted on arguing with me, and proceeded to tell me that they don't issue permits to cut yew and vine maple.  I convinced him that if he would just let me get the permits out of the truck,  he would be able to see for himself.  It was about that time that several other Forest service trucks showed up.   I did have a nice talk with his superiors about the whole irritating incident.
  Now after you get threw showing all your paper work and get your staves home. You have a whole new out look on the two or three workable stave that you have spent two full days and 100 dollars of gas to obtain.   And when you decide you are willing to part with a stave it can be upsetting if someone treats you like your ripping them off.   I don't cut yew or any staves for money and try to help out where and when I can.   It is very disheartening when you hear so much talk about "The Price of Yew"  as if people are getting rich or gouging people.  I know of several of the people mentioned but have never had any dealings with them and will try not to judge them as I know what is often required of the process. I have often looked at the prices and cringed yet I know the work involved.
 The last permits that I bought I spent $40.00 and ended up in back surgery and never got to cut a tree.    What I am saying and what I believe Vinemaplebows is saying is that it is a whole different world then some are used to and hard to understand unless you have walked it out.
  To find a good yew tree on flat or even semi flat and  easy to get to ground is very rare.

When I first read this I was reluctant to respond and I hope and pray this will not offend any. It is not a pump for yew prices. I don't like them any more then anyone Else. I do however understand the process and can understand peoples frustration on both sides of the situation

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 09:18:08 pm »
Keenan,

That was well written, and VERY accurate. The point of dealing with state agencies, and the crap that goes with it, makes it ALMOST not worth it. I really was trying to let guys back east know what we are up against. I sure wish I could go to a farm(private property) and cut my wood vs. permits.....and tree cops. ;D

So Keenan ready for a poaching trip???? :laugh:

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 09:23:23 pm »
Thanks for the inside story on Yew Keenan...heck, after reading what goes into getting a stave I'd be crappin me britches the whole time I was working on it!!! 
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Keenan

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 09:27:19 pm »
 ;D :o  I'm watching the snow depths right now trying to figure out when to try to get some more permits. I am going to talk with the guy that sold me the last  batch and show him that they were never used. Hopefully he will reissue but I doubt it.  I am fairly sure the trees will still be there as they were fairly remote.

Another thing to mention is that yew is extremely slow growing at higher elevations above 3000 ft.  An eight inch tree can be 150-200 years old  and often only one side will be free of knots. If they do have a clear bottom it is often only 5- 6ft up then it will bush out and be a cluster of branches.

Lee, it is an ordeal at times!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:31:39 pm by Keenan »

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 09:32:34 pm »
Keenan,

How many times will they issue a permits there??? I am not even sure here.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 09:38:30 pm »
I'm hoping to do some more yew hunting this spring and summer. Last time I went I brought my bow and a couple judo tips and just roamed around stump shooting while I looked. I only found one scraggly yew tree but at least I had a good time, made me feel better about the gas $ anyway. Glad I'm not in this bowmaking to try to make money.