Author Topic: Antler overlays  (Read 2342 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

Antler overlays
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:12 pm »
What glue should i use to glue antler to wood?  Is there a best way to cut the antler - do I avoid the inside and stick to the outside or does it not matter?  Any other tidbits that you think I should know would be appreciated - I intend to use antler as a tip overlay and could use some advise.  Thanks.

Russ

Offline Steve Milbocker

Re: Antler overlays
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:47:58 pm »
I used Tite Bond  3 on the two I put antler overlays on. Still going strong after many 100s of arrows. Even had a dry fire because of a bad arrow nock and it was none the worse for wear.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:51:49 pm »
Thanks.  That is easy enough.

Russ

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:27:21 pm »
I've also used TB glue for antler overlays. If you have some of the  center pith on the glue side  of the antler saturate it with super glue first, let that dry, sand it smooth again and glue it down. Be sure both glue surfaces match well.  Rubber bands work well for holding the overlay on while the glue cures instead of a clamp.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:28:15 pm »
Fill the porous, pithy inner section with super glue or it will suck up all your wood glue and not stay put.........sometimes.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:29:06 pm »
I beat ya to it, Pearlie!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:32:13 pm »
I beat ya to it, Pearlie!  ;D

Ya hot dog!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 04:18:11 pm »
So, should I cut the antler so the pith is the glue surface and the outer portion is the visible side -  or - should I attempt to use as little of the pith as I can - or try to use all pith? 

Russ

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 04:38:54 pm »
" should I cut the antler so the pith is the glue surface and the outer portion is the visible side"

Thats how I do it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:47:05 pm »
Me too.   You also want to preshape the overlay so the end that fades into the limb is very thin so you don't have to try to make the transition from overlay to limb tip later after it is together.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 04:53:13 pm »
Thanks guys. 

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:03:26 pm »
  I also use TB and rubber bands. Long time back I've even used elmers. It work good never had one come off. I always cut them perrty thin never had one thick enough that I had to deal with the pit.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING