Author Topic: ELM  (Read 3984 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
ELM
« on: May 21, 2012, 06:10:37 pm »
Ever seen elm split so nice and clean?................................me neither, but this one did. The larger piece on the left was typical elm, I broke my sledge handle and had to leave it halved for now. You can see a color diff in the heartwood. I can tell they are different elms, but not which. These where harvested 3 weeks ago and laid on my gargae floor until today. That may have contributed to the easy split on the one. Hard to say.

What you see below took me a total of two miles brush walking to get them to my truck. Soooo worth it when you can pick pipe straight perfect wood. I peeled them in the woods so I already knew what my backs looked like. Enough rambling, its just a few staves.

Hey Bevan, got your HHB all sawed out pretty, keep your eyes open pal.  ;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline half eye

Re: ELM
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:55:52 pm »
I could be all wet, but got to believe the knarly splittin log is red elm (slippery) and the one that was nice and straight is grey (american)...when Larry and I cut elms there is the same types of issues. Made real nice bows from both kinds. Hard to say for sure because I understand that elm hybredizes quite readily.
rich

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 07:04:57 pm »
I tell you what Rich. If I could find all American I would cut it all down. That stuff split so clean and easy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »
Ive split quite a bit of elm but I dont know what kind it was. Ive never had any elm split that clean PD. Looks like it split more like mulberry, I love splittin that stuff. All the elm Ive cut and split never had the darker color like yours does, mines always whitewood all the way through. Looks like you'll get some nice bows out of those.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 07:55:05 am »
Nope never had one split like that,wished I had some that would.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hook

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:11:41 am »
Maybe you could trade one of those for a better camara...LOL just kidding

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:55:51 am »
Thats the truth hook. My camera sucks. Come to find out Im really not much of a techy guy....Wierd huh?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:33:32 am »
Nice! That has a lot of heartwood for a whitewood stave. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 09:43:28 am »
  If you leave the log season whole. The more seasoned the log the easer it will split. This aplys to all wood.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:00:14 am »

Nice! That has a lot of heartwood for a whitewood stave. Jawge

Our elm up here always has at least 60% heartwood Jawgey. Not sure why? Some of those staves in the pic will have heartwood left over on the limbs and handle when Im done with them.

If you leave the log season whole. The more seasoned the log the easer it will split. This aplys to all wood.

I noticed that with some osage last fall Roy. Thats why these sat around for 3 weeks after I cut them. It helped some, but I was VERY close to losing it all. We had a major warm  up over the weekend and they started to pop on me. I couldnt let them sit whole anymore. I only lost two HHB staves out of the pile, not bad.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 11:58:16 am »
Hey Pearl Drums. I agree, the gnarly pieces look like Slippery Elm,and the others look like American Elm. In my experiences with the elms,the wood,(elms,that is),that splits easily has not been good bow wood. I hope yours works out better than mine did. JMHO  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline smoke

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 10:26:19 am »
Those look great - i've never seen elm that clean.   I cut a hackberry this spring that look about as straight and was pretty tickled about that.

Offline druid

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 02:43:00 pm »
Unbelieveble...

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 03:27:21 pm »
Very nice. Have fun with that.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 03:29:10 pm »
 I gave a few away this weekend at the Marshall gathering. Both where first timers so the elm should treat them right and allow a bow with a few mistakes here and there.