Author Topic: Tropical hardwood ( bow completed with lots of pics )  (Read 5005 times)

Online sleek

Tropical hardwood ( bow completed with lots of pics )
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:24:16 pm »
I am not sure of the species, but it sinks in water, is hard, heavy, and is deep red.

I got 45@25 out of it with 1/2 inch just unstrung set. 2 inch wide fades, pyramid down to 1/4 inch knocks.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:29:29 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Josh B

Re: Tropical hardwood
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:39:32 pm »
Sweet!  Nice snake in it and the tiller looks good!  Where did you come up with that wood?  Josh

Online sleek

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:54:59 pm »
Ok, just imposed and inverted ( Misses Sleek did, that is ) the bottom limb over the tip to see how the tiller is. The two limbs aligned perfectly. To show how awsome this tiller is, she moved the lower limb slightly behind the upper to show they have the exact same arc. I had no Idea my tiller was so spot on. I did all my tillering at brace only, never taking it to any draw length until my brace looked perfect. Maybe thats part of why so low set?

Online sleek

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 05:59:46 pm »
Sorry Gun Doc, didnt see your post. A friend of mine who is in the hardwood flooring business gave it to me to see what I could do with it.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 07:00:11 pm »
I really like the look of this bow.  ...and thank Mrs. Sleek for the uber-kuul pic idea.  I'll be stealing that!

Offline randman

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:05:37 pm »
Awesome bow Sleek. Perfect tiller on that thing. Great snake! Looks like Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba? i think). Great flooring (very popular nowdays) and looks like equally awesome bows. I have a couple of pieces from my sisters flooring job but haven't made anything from it yet. I was going to back it with boo.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:26:45 pm »
Looks great....very nice tiller.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:03:57 pm »
Very nice, and cool looking bow. It's unbacked?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online sleek

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:22:04 pm »
I just found out that it is indeed a brazillian cherry. Yes it is unbacked. I did a bend test and it is a brittle wood, so if you want to do an umbacked, i would overbuild it a touch like I did here at Pearl drums sugestion...

Thanks for the compliments all, I will for sure be enjoying this bow!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:04 pm »
Very nice work! Love the snake in that one!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 11:37:22 pm »
Very nice snakes bow ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Online sleek

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 05:18:39 am »
Thanks guys. I am proud of the bow myself, just need to put the finishing touches, such as a proper handle on it. I will chrono it soon as I finish the handle and get a few proper spined and weighted arrows for it. However, I dont think it is very fast. I dont know why, I thought I had a good front profile for speed... maybe its just such a heavy wood that it wont make a fast bow? Or I overbuilt it to much for my draw lenght weight and need to pike it or draw further? That alone would make those inner limbs bend a bit more eh?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 06:13:20 am »
Yup, that's a real sweet looking bow, love the skinny pyramid profile with a nice wiggle of character. Just enough to look good without detracting from performance.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 08:47:37 am »
Good looking bow,looking forward to seeing it all dolled up. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online sleek

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 04:08:12 am »
She aint all dolled up yet. Largely because I cant decide on a handle material. I want Ebony, but its soooo expensive, I think coco bolo, but thats my knife handle stock, then I think osage, pause for a moment thinking of burnt orange osage on deep red cherry and decide against it. I could go with black walnut, or spalted hackberry... But I would like to use something nice on this... real nice. I have enough scrap from this bow to glue on a riser for it of its own wood, but I cant deide if i want the handle to stand out. So it remains unfinished.

I have such a short draw ( 24 inches ) compared to the normal 28 inch draw of most folk, I wanted to see if maybe I could pull the bow back to 28 inches. Being sure the bow would blow with no tiller adjustments or weight decrease, I put on the safety glasses.  Here are the results...

I went to 28 inches of draw 5 times and held there about 2 seconds a piece. On the last pull I took measurements. Things changed as you may have guessed they would. I am suprised it held, I really didnt think it would, hence the safety glasses.

50@ 28 and 43@ 25.  It has 1 1/8 inches of set inches on top, 1/2 on bottom.

I think the tiller still looks ok. I blame the upper limbs excessive set on it being the upper limb and taking more strain when the arrow is nocked above the center of the bows handle...