Author Topic: new to flintknapping  (Read 1888 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

new to flintknapping
« on: February 28, 2012, 07:07:49 pm »
I've just gotten into flintknapping and I was wondering what type of rocks or minerals I should try to look for. I live in NW Virginia.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline DraggingCanoe

Re: new to flintknapping
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:57:14 pm »
What I did was watch a buch of youtube videos, and pay attention to how the material breaks, and what it looks like when it does. Then just basically go out with a hammer or find a hammerstone and start beating on rocks until you find some that break like flint. And most importantly, have FUN!

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:52:37 pm »
I would go to 3 rivers archery and purchase naviculite or dacite to begin with.  Thats what was recommended to me.  I have tried obsidian and a few others and so far the naviculite and dacite seem to be the most forgiving of my inexperience.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:04:55 pm »
Well I actually have some obsidian and dacite from a recent trade. I was looking for info or advice on what I should look for when I go on my trips through the woods and streams.

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:10:18 pm »
Just take a spalling hammer or stone & start wackin. It breaks with a slick or semi-slick surface give it a try. Save a few pieces of various stones & heat to find if its knappablility changes. Maybe someone familiar with your area will chime in. Lots of luck,& show us what you find. Tower.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:20:59 pm »
Thanks tower. Ill post pics of stuff I find. I know I find a lot of quartz around here but Im not sure if its knappable.  Found a big piece of quartz today that had a pocket of crystals. So for some reason it makes me think that quartz isn't a knappable material. 

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 09:25:00 pm »
Its knappable but I've heard itd difficult. Quartz that is , Quartzite I think can be heat treated & can be knapped. But I have no first hand knowledge of it.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:29:34 pm »
Well I could give the quartz a try. I certainly don't have a shortage of it. The supply of quartz I have seems to be infinite.

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 09:47:17 pm »
I have seen points made of Topaz found in the granite up-lift reigon of the Texas hill country. Stunning points!

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 09:48:25 pm »
You can knap quartz...it just tougher than a Saturday night in jail  :D I'll bet if you look hard enough you can find some better material than that  ;) I either take a big solid copper rod or find a good hard/heavy round hammerstone with me when I'm walkin the creeks. Give it a try! Anything that breaks with a conical fracture and is decently smooth is worth haulin back and breakin up to learn on. LOTS cheaper than buying rock to learn on. I was told it takes 2000lbs of rock to get good at knappin. I've broke at least that in the last year  ::) good luck! Post em up when you find something :)
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 09:50:04 pm »
Quartzite is knappable.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 10:21:36 pm »
Thanks everyone.  That's what I love about this site lotsa good folks with lotsa good advice.  ;D

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 01:11:22 am »
Yeah, quartzite is tougher than woodpecker lips!!  Its got so many fractures in it.  I have seen some artifacts that were made from it and they didnt look too bad.  If your ever down in NC, swing by the Uhwarie NF and hunt out some rhyolite.  Its tough too but not as bad as quartzite. 
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 02:55:44 am »
Your looking for rocks that kinda shine in the light.... almost like glass.   another good tell is if you see rust on a rock..... then bust her open.....
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:48:38 am »
I've actually heard that ryolite it a tough rock. Unfortunately I don't think that I be going to NC anytime soon with three kids and gas prices going sky high. Maybe in another 17 yrs when the youngest is out on his own. Lol