Author Topic: Another abandoned Pearl stave saved..BL D bow  (Read 4636 times)

blackhawk

Another abandoned Pearl stave saved..BL D bow
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:35:50 pm »
Heres a black locust D bow with a subtle R/D,63" ntn,41@28". Pearl had reduced this down to floor tiller for some quick dry action,and it dried all petty wampus on him and he then wanted nothing to do with it. So i snagged it and rescued her from the fire and put her into service. I do have to admit it was a mess,4" of uneven reflex and the string was about 3" away,but i wrangled her with ease by a few heating sessions. I first aligned the string tracking by bending it at the handle,i then needed to take out some of that reflex and i deflexed it slightly at each fade,i then heat treated the limbs to match each other. whew-wee. i should have taken a before shot but i didnt. Its only a hair over 1 1/8" wide at the handle/fades. No frets,and i nailed my target mass of 12 oz. I started with 2 1/2" of reflex and it still maintains an inch just after unbraced,and after rest shes back to an 1 1/2". This is some good dense black locust. got any more from this batch that need to go to the "fire" chris....lol  ;)  ;D  :laugh:

blackhawk

Re: Another abandoned Pearl stave saved..BL D bow
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 06:37:24 pm »
brace and full draw from both sides

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:42:48 pm »
That bow smells like Pat made it! Thats a Pat Recipe if I ever seen one. That did turn out very nice and I will admit I didnt want that thing one bit. Keep in mind Im NOT the picky type when it comes to staves. Nice bow Chris. You would think after supplying him with his last four premium staves of hackberry and BL a guy could maybe get a "Black Mockingbird" bow sent his way.............but nooooo.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:44:38 pm »
Sweet!
Got to like that un-braced profile :)
I love black locust - I think it's one of the best woods out there for holding heat treated reflex.
Have you got any chrono info?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:49:10 pm »
Nice save!! I like the simplicity of it! Will have to put BL on my list of bows-to-be ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 07:33:34 pm »
Nice bow.  The tiller looks great.

Hey Blackhawk, are you going to the Classic?  I'll give you some crooked and twisted osage staves.  You just have to give one back thats straight and has a string on it  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:24:22 pm »
@pearl...thanks...soooo...you still don't want anything to do with it?  ???

Thanks mike....I haven't gotten the chrony out lately..I shoulda done it yesterday(nice warm sunny day) as I have a few I need to run thru it. I really like me some black locust too  ;)

Thanks k hat...yeah put it on your list for sure

Thanks clint...yeah buddy ill be there....sounds like a deal to me ;)......are we there yet...man two more months yet  :-\...ill be there wed morn...hope you can make it before it goes full blown party to work on some wood together.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:27:13 pm »
Me and my son are going to try to be there Thursday evening.  I'll bring something to work on.  Ole' Pearly don't know what he's missing.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 09:11:01 pm »
Another abandoned Pearl stave saved....... 

You would think after supplying him with his last four premium staves of hackberry and BL a guy could maybe get a "Black Mockingbird" bow sent his way.............but nooooo.

Sounds like we need some mediation here  >:D

Cool donation Drums!! Nice BL bender Hawkman :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 09:26:02 pm »
Blackhawk, you keep that up and you will make Pearl look bad.  Takin his trash and makin treasures you are....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 09:32:23 pm »
Nice Phoenix bow, from out of PD's ashes it rose. great job, love the full draw. btw Do you and PD have a secret contest going on for who can put out the most bows this year? just wondering. :D
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 10:21:29 pm »
aint that the truth clint  8)

thanks coaster...no mediation required here ;)  just a couple a buddies jabbing at each other,cus thats what friends are for  :)

thanks sleek...how did you know my secret plan with pearl  >:D

thanks eric..no secret contest going on here...BUT...we both feed each others fire for this passion and talk bows all day long when were "working"...so by the time its time to go home were both all fired up to tear up some wood. then theres our budy marty,and i thought we were bad,well hes sicker than us. we all have the extreme addiction case of bowyering and we all feed off each other.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 10:25:53 pm »
 ;)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 10:33:27 pm »
Another good one Chris !!
Life sure wood have been different If I had come across you boys a little sooner!
It is a treasure to watch you three feed of of each other, this is the one arena where it is a good thing to try to out do the neighbor !!
Keep up the fun ,we are watching !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 12:17:59 am »
nice work blackhawk.i am thinking about sending pearl a mulberry stave that wil leave him scratching his head.i have a bad one.if he can't do anything with it,maybe he can send it to Clint.if he can't use it,we'll send it to you and wait for the bow pics lol.nice work buddy,Steve BTW,see you at the classic.
Middletown,Ohio