Author Topic: different colors  (Read 1491 times)

Offline iowabow

different colors
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:44:57 am »
Here is some of the range of color that I am getting from the rock in my creek.  It is different from the rock coming from the layer that I quarry. 

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: different colors
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:50:11 am »
Because of ice cracks the preforms are small. I wish I could fine where that creamy banana bread looking rock comes from in the formation.

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:59:26 am »
That's some purddy rock!  Are you finding much in the creek?
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 12:13:12 pm »
I would say 50 percent is flint.  I discoverd last week a white rock that has grey flint on the inside so it might be even higher. Almost every creek around here has lots of flint in it. lol I noticed in Dec. that the road crew dumped a pile of rock under a bridge that had flint among the group. Yes I hit it but was very low quality.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:14:24 pm »
I don't how your stuff is, but the chert here in the KS  flinthills is a bluish gray when I dig it out.  But if I pick it up off the hillside it is a tan to brown color.  I don't know if thats from thousands of years in the sun or prairie fires, but if its Brown it really works nice.  I been meaning to ask you iowabow, over there along 34 before you cross the bridge to Illinois  there is a rock cut along the road with some white seems  in the strata.  Is that good chert  or is it chalk?  Josh

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 12:16:18 pm »
 8) just another reason to spend more time outside in the creek.  I still have a pc. of the brown you sent me awhile back. dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 12:34:12 pm »
Cool colors. I like them all!!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 12:34:59 pm »
I don't how your stuff is, but the chert here in the KS  flinthills is a bluish gray when I dig it out.  But if I pick it up off the hillside it is a tan to brown color.  I don't know if thats from thousands of years in the sun or prairie fires, but if its Brown it really works nice.  I been meaning to ask you iowabow, over there along 34 before you cross the bridge to Illinois  there is a rock cut along the road with some white seems  in the strata.  Is that good chert  or is it chalk?  Josh
I know just where you are talking about. Prior to American settlement, the area was neutral territory for the Sac and Fox Indians, who called it "Shoquoquon" (Shok-ko-kon), meaning Flint Hills. That hill but 5 blocks north and on the ridge facing the river was the indian quarry (glad they did not mine my land). Anyway I have tried some of that stuff and it does not work well. now if you go north to the flint river there you will find flint. Now the problem is that you will only be able to make arrowhead size points from the frost cracked out croppings. I am now into the rock face 2 feet and just now getting good 6 inch stuff. The Iowa geological studies for this area show many sites where flint was sampled. If you find yourself in this area give me a call and I will show you around. The large creek below my creek has flint but I never go there because my creek is closer

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 12:40:33 pm »
Funny thing I did not have time to cover the rock face this winter but the dirt came down the hill and covered it for me.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 12:41:47 pm »
Cool! Thanks for the info.  I asked  because I might be going back through there this afternoon .  I'm delivering across the river at gladstone  today.   Josh

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 02:06:43 pm »
where are you from?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 02:07:31 pm »
PM me your cell number if you are coming through!