Author Topic: Maple syrup update  (Read 3521 times)

Offline chigger

Re: Maple syrup update
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 07:38:51 pm »
  My graddad was a old time gobbler hunter and hunted through out the south. He had a friend in NC that made HICKORY SYRUP AND WOULD ALWAYS COME HOME WITH A JAR. Iwas just a kid and wish I'd payed more attention. But I put in on pancakes and corn bread a lot. I liked it.
  I never thought of box elder. How do you collect it just like maple trees.

You tap a Box Elder like as you do a Maple tree,but it takes twice the sap and that scares me 80 to 1 ,I noticed someone said you could use Pecan and I've never tried it , and Hickory is of the Pecan family,a friend who runs a sawmill said Pecan and Hickory is the same wood when sawed and my understanding you have to use the bark from Shagbark Hickory and boil it someway to make the syrup.I tried it and I couldn't eat it.

Offline chigger

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 12:09:17 am »
Here is my sugaring operation...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 10:31:01 am »
Gold! Looks like a good day of sugaring. I like your setup there-makes tough work a little easier. If the temps ever get right here, I'll get the spiles out and hopefully get a small batch this year. Thanks for the pics and post!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 12:47:36 pm »
Hey chigger, I just wanted to thank you for a little inspiration. I have a silver maple in my yard and had to give it a try. I read up on it and everyone said silver was less desirable than others but can still produce. After 2 days of tapping i got 4 gal of sap water and boiled down this is what i got!! I did a taste test with my wife use good real syrup and she could not tell the difference! I will be happy if I can fill this mason can/should be good all year! THANKS

Offline chigger

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 12:05:58 am »
Looks good and I bet it is...

Offline jimmy

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 01:32:18 pm »
My 6 year old son loves syrup and we love eating mulberrys, so I decided to make some mulberry surup from our trees. It turned out better than ok. I will do it every year from now on. It's funny how people don't really use all those free resources anymore.