Author Topic: Backings  (Read 855 times)

Offline OlympicPeninsula

Backings
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:43:34 pm »
does red oak make a decent backing if cut into 1/8th inch strips.

i was thinking of making a 72 x 2 x2 rectangular blank of vine maple and attaching some sort of wood backing to it and then starting the bow. is this a viable option, and what woods are good for backing?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Backings
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:50 pm »
I wouldnt use red oak. Hickory is the best hard backing in my opinion. Birch and maple will work as well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:02:16 pm »
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think a red oak backing on vine maple would only be holding the vine maple back from its potential. From what I've heard vine maple is good stuff, and red oak is just mediocre. I've asked about oak backings before and the general consensus seemed to be that it wasn't all that suited to backings.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:19:24 pm »

Vinemaple generally does not need backing...For backing look for hickory, bamboo, white oak....or materials silk, other other materials that are light in weight. If you live on the harbor there are few places (if any) to find the woods. Seattle or portland are the closest I know of. I assume you are a beginer, if so just use some of the easier to find materials till you get tillering down.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.