Author Topic: Osage Police Alert - Stave Attack By Amature (Pics)  (Read 10038 times)

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
Osage Police Alert - Stave Attack By Amature (Pics)
« on: August 13, 2007, 08:38:52 am »
OK - Partially kidding. Anyway I finally was able today to start on the very nice Osage stave that friend Mike Brooks found for me to learn on. I really enjoyed it. I had seen it before, and Mike sowed me very basically how to start out with the Draw Knife. Today we got serious and I really started learning what, why, and how to proceed. These will not be quick lessons as we can only get together every so often (like next weekend I'll be on a trad shoot). So this may be a long drawn out process but suffice to say after this first half day I would love to lay into it every day until I finished a bow or the stave beat me into the ground. Mike does the teaching and observing, I provide the elbo grease and do the learning, I hope - I learned a lot today - IMO. Here are some pics of the stave and my beginnings, for those interested.

Here you can see the stave has some nice natural setback or deflex starting out:

In this one, you can see the little patch of cuttings at stave center from when I first took the Draw knife in hand for an intro, some time back:

Here you can see that I am lucky enough to have pretty wide Growth rings and new growth areas revealed. We felt I stood a good chance of using the first clean (actually the second one, I guess) growth ring and we proceeded with that assumption:

Here are a couple of shots of my first attempts at Chasing a ring on an osage stave. Got just about half of the back nicely exposed this afternoon (I'm a slow, hopefully methodical worker - LOL:

Finally, here are the shavings from my first day attacking this poor unsuspecting, and (I feel) beautiful stave. Hope you enjoyed my first halting steps on a selfbow:

"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline DanaM

Re: Osage Police Alert - Stave Attack By Amature (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 08:53:30 am »
Pretty cool bernie. all good things take time. I'm sure that you will end up with a sweet bow. Keep us posted eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 08:58:49 am »
Good start,Very nice growth rings,you shouldn't have any problem chasing them.Take your time and you will get a feel for it pretty quick. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 09:57:27 am »
That is a pretty piece of wood.  Like Pappy said, nice growth rings.  Keep us posted on the progress. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:10:00 am »
Very nice piece of wood. Looking forward to your posts.

I feel I have a lot more control chasing a ring to have the stave  clamped lower.  Just a thought or just me?? ???
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:35:32 am »
Bernie, you are amazing! Enjoy. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ber643

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 10:43:23 am »
Thanks for the comments and encouragement, friends. BTW, this will be a shorter bow (60" as I recall) but that's good as I do not have a short Wood bow. Lowell, Yep, Mike mentioned that a lot of folks do but he likes it up where he can pull into his chest - and see better. He told me to try both ways - but as soon as he said "see better" it made sense to these ol' eyes, at least for a start. My arms were tired after - lol - but we went out and shot some and I did OK, so I guess it wasn't too bad  ;D
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

tradrick

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 11:02:18 am »
Makeing shaveings Bernie,I hear ya!I'll be starting on my second selfbow towards the end of this week.Gotta get that tillering tree set-up.Keep us posted I like build alongs.tradrick

Offline Dano

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 11:14:38 am »
Thata way "old Brother" looks like Mike is teaching you well. Pretty peice of wood, oughta make a fine bow.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 11:31:11 am »
That looks like a primo piece of 'sage. Have fun!
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline ber643

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 04:06:52 pm »
Thanks so much TR, Dano, and HB. All your comments mean a lot to me.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 06:41:59 pm »
  Way to go Bernie.He sure started you out on a nice piece of wood.You might be able to get a piggyback stave off the belly.Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ber643

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 07:20:29 pm »
He certainly did, mullett. Don't know about the "piggy Back" for this amateur, just yet. He keeps kidding me about how am I gonna learn anything from a stave that's so free of defects, knots, characvter, etc. I told him it was probably enough for this ol' hoss to try to absorb in one outing. We have discoverd a couple small whoopdy-doos already that'll most likely add a little character. Also looks like, in running a center line test, we probably will have to heat one end to bring it into line before lay-out. Gonna really be interesting in any case.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:18:40 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 07:50:07 pm »
Looking good, Bernie. I echo what was said before, real nice peice of wood there!
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Jbell

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 09:29:22 pm »
It super cool to see ya makin a stave bow Bernie.  This is going to be alot of fun to watch. Keep it coming young man! ::) ;D ;)
Justin Blunt