Author Topic: osage boards for furniture  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Catahoula

osage boards for furniture
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:33:22 am »
Hi,

Anyone ever ran across a lumber yard carrying osage boards for furniture?  I know that I can find it for backed bows but would like some six inch wide 5 quarter if I can find it.  I think osage is about the most beautiful wood I have ever seen when it has mellowed out to its dark red. 

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline gstoneberg

Re: osage boards for furniture
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:12:57 pm »
Rand, there are a few sawmills (some portable) in north Texas that advertise milled osage on Craig's List from time to time.  Usually they won't cut and mill it until they have an outlet for it.  It is hard on sawmill blades.  Most specialize in osage and/or cedar fireplace mantles.  I see on Craig's List right now somebody is selling some 4/4 osage boards for $4 a board foot over in Ft Worth.  If he still has it when I get my truck back I might go pick some of it up myself.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:14:10 pm »
Those sound great George, let me know if you do...I'll buy a couple 4' boards off ya for use as cores in my NA horn bows  >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:42:01 pm »
Buy???  We don't buy and sell around here. ;)  Certainly you have something I need. >:D  And, there's no need to wait, I already had a tree milled last year.  Cameroo's BOM winner came from that wood.  I have an osage board bow waiting for me to glue bamboo backing to it now, have an ipe bow in the same state.  And the bamboo is right there on the shelf.  So many bow types to make, so little time.  And yes Cam, I still owe you another board.  Sorry. :-[

Rand, I don't have enough to help you with furniture.  I can call the sawmill guy and ask him if he's doing any more soon?  I didn't have good luck drying it without it checking though.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:08:10 am »
Hi George,

Slapping some glue or wax on the ends didn't help?  Maybe that's why one of the stave selling fellows I met from Tenn. painted his staves all over with varnish??  About where in Texas is the lumberyard?  Maybe I can convince the wife that the way to Oregon in the Spring is through Texas!!  Ha!!

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:16:30 pm »
Rand,

The boards didn't split from the end.  With so much surface area I wasn't too worried about end checks.  The splits appeared to come from the sides.  It might have helped if I'd sealed the sides, but I doubt it.  Where they're stored in the shop it probably gets in the 110s most every day for 2 months.  They're darn near kiln dried.  Next time I'll give them a spray with shellac

The guy I went to does it as a hobby and his place was near Sulphur Springs.  There's another one south of dallas a friend keeps telling me I need to go visit.  I'll try and find out where that is.  You swing through Texas and hit my shop and I guarantee you'll leave with something osage. :)

George
St Paul, TX